am i normal?....

R

I would just like some reassurance really.....
I am 9 months into my PhD, have a great supervisor and am very enthusiastic about my work. However, things seem to be moving very slowly, i feel like i'm always waiting for sometihng/ someone, cells to grow and things to be delivered. I've just found out that something i've ordered has been delayed another week, leaving me with nothing to do until it arrives!! grr I've read sooo much and written and am really chomping at the bit to get some more experiments done. But find myself waiting and spending my time wasting itme! Is it slow for anyone else too?

K

Hi rah, This is completely normal as i experience exactly the same. Its so frustrating but i think we just have to be bite our tounges and deal with it and not let it get us down.

R

thanks, i hate to complain because i am very happy with my PhD and lab etc. I just really feel like i should be doing more, and worry that I'm falling behind!

A

If your PhD teaches anything it'll be patience and perserverance. It's not easy and even though 80 % of the time it feels like an exceptionally stressful and hard slog, you'll find that there are moments where everything becomes clear and you'll have a stint of runaway success with your results (that'll the other 20 %)

A

It's not easy but try to stay sane

S

in reference to the original question - you're doing a PhD, what do you think??

W

Nope you are not normal... first year is the only time you can take it easy... Do that.

A

Yes, this is normal and is why it is often impossible to complete in 3 years i.e. somethings are out of your control. All you can do is try to prepare for your work well in advance (not always possible) and have a plan B in case of delays so that you can use your time productively.

R

thanks guys, I guess another part of the reason that i'm feeling a bit stressed is that my supervisor is away and so I can't get reassurance from him right now, plus i'm sure he'll have expected me to have made some progress when he gets back, but so far, still waiting!