Am I over-reacting?

D

I am doing a part time PhD in the department I work in. My first annual review is coming up and I was told by an administrator that the postgrad head felt he and the head of department should do mine because I am a member of staff. It makes me feel as though I am being treated differently just because I work there. I am fully self funded and my PhD is not even related to my actual job.

My supervisor explained it's because if I was a different sort of person I may try to influence others and something about uni policy for staff members (I have checked and can't find anything in writing), and they want to make sure it is done without favouritism and positively. I said I would prefer someone else do my review as in their effort to not show favouritism they may judge me more harshly than my peers. I have no problem if I am not up to scratch, but I would like to be certain it is in relation to my peers and not because my bar has been placed higher because they know me.

Zoom ahead a couple weeks. I had a meeting with the head of department on an unrelated matter and he mentioned he and the postgrad head were doing my review. He even tried to say it was random. I explained how I felt and it made no bones to him.

I can't help feeling that I have been singled out first and assigned to them even before everyone else. If I have any reason to complain or appeal I feel I would have no recourse because the people who conducted my review are the two top people, so who would I appeal to? I feel a bit insulted that they would even think I would use my 'charms' to influence anyone. I don't hang out with the academic staff at all. Do they not trust their colleagues to be objective?

Am I over-reacting? Any advice will be appreciated.

J

Hi dancingintherain,
From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like you are being treated harshly. I undertand you feel like you are being treated differently because you were told specifically by an administrator the postgrad head and head of department will do your review because you are a member of staff. It might not be university-wide policy, but it could be something that is typical in your department and has been done before for other people. There is probably a sensible reason behind it - why not ask administrator who told you the news if it is really worrying you.

To be honest, I don't think it matters too much. Annual reviews are attended by people who don't really know your work so they can impartially judge whether you have made sufficient progress. I wouldn't worry who these people are unless they have a reputation for being incredibly harsh in such circumstances! Just prepare for your annual review and do your best - most people pass them so you probably don't have much to worry about.

D

Even yourself wouldn't feel comfortable judging the work of one of your colleagues. What if it was really bad? Would you have the nerve to break the news? Probably not.

So, it is only fair that you are judged by the head of the department that is completely independent, and it is unlikely that the judgement would affect your relationship.

For similar reasons, my upgrade was attended and commended by almost every member of academic staff in the department (including the HoD). I didn't feel that they set the bar high, I perceived it as an honest interest in my work.

Good luck with your upgrade! You will be fine :)

D

Thanks for the replies.