American Spelling

:-s

I'm having to change a paper over to american spelling. I have behavior, center, organization

Is there any words I may have missed?

W

color, pediatric?

E

What about color or theter?

======= Date Modified 11 Oct 2010 15:47:47 =======
don't think I'll use either of them. But do they say analyziz??? haha! I am now lost it the world of stupid spelling

B

I think they do spell it analyze. And have lots more words ending in z to boot. Can you temporarily change your spell-checker to US English?

I don't want to change the spell checker cos of my references, although I suppose I could as it wouldn't automatically change them.

What's their versio of analysis? analyzis???

O

======= Date Modified 11 Oct 2010 16:26:04 =======
:D

There are lots of words...! basically, American spelling substitutes a "z" ( we say it ZEE not ZED) for an "s" in most words, words end in ER, not Re ( so why are October, November and December not spelled Octobre, Novembre, and Decembre in UK English?), lose the u in "ou" spelling, analyze is analyze, analysis is analysis...Americans tend not to say, firstly, secondly, thirdly--but rather, First, the second point...the third point...

Can you set your spell checker to not automatically change words, but just go through set on American spelling, and make manual changes?

Organise is organize, etc...I cannot think of any other words that have tormented me--my spelling has defaulted to UK English and its very hard to change back when I am trying to spell American now and again!

Good luck with the publication!

PS Feel free to send me a PM if you have a question on any particular words!

Thanks Olivia, I *think* I've changed it all over. Including judgement

I feel like a sell out though :-( and want to stick a 'colour' in for the hell of it :p

J

On the same subject..... is it defence or defense?

K

Haha, don't to upset you sneaks but recently I was asked to change to American spelling for a journal then when I had done it and sent it back all American-ized the final proof came back with a request to change back to English endings for words! I was fuming lol! Good luck, KB

O

oh yes, that is right--defense, not defence, and so of course, offense, not offence....
surely there are countless others.

Look at it this way, it gives you a claim to being bilingual. :P I say I speak two languages, American and English! And can spell in both of them as well ( oh, and for instance, Americans do not have a full stop, its a period, and its not inverted commas, its quotation marks, and I am still trying to understand all these weird pedestrian crossing types like zebra, pelican and toucan....heck, I am still trying to figure out how to cross the road!!!