American sponsored postdoc?

G

Can anyone tell me about his buzz that you get paid to sit at home and do a postdoc? Is the to formal degree or you are doing a proxy postdoc for someone else and get paid? Can I wrote a postdoc on any topic of my interest and still get paid not necessarily from an institution?

K

Ganesha
Are you serious? Is your post a joke?
Writing a "postdoc"?
Sitting at home and doing a proxy postdoc for someone else and get paid?

Are you familiar with the concept of "being a postdoc"? And why are you pick word "american" or "american sponsored postdoc"? Are you getting this from spam emails?

G

Kimiwipes
Not everyday can afford to wait for a formal postdoc like you. You might already have one but in the meantime, people like us have to eat and breathe. The research industry is flexible and it might be a research degree involving postdoc type skills which I already have but not have a formal post doc like yourself. Until ther happens, I want to survive using and demonstrating my postdoc skills and I will considering I have spent so many years in of not the computer and many Libraries, and many universities.i am open to be flexible and provide my services to anyone interested in my expertise.

Congrats on having a formal postdoc. No, this is not at all a joke, it's about networking with people (unemployed, stressed about uncertain future after so many years in academia unlike you who seem to have it all.

T

Ganesha, seems you misunderstand what a post doc is. It means Post Doctoral Research. You need to have a PhD. It's usually science-based so chances are you need a lab. Most people don't have labs at home so generally you need to be attending a university or research institute.

G

Treeoflife

No I didnt misunderstand. I knew kimwipes was referring to something with pure sciences and completely unaware of how social science postdocs can be done remotely or from home even if it's formal as is with many of my colleagues who live in one town and even in a different country and their postdoc affiliation is somewhere else sometimes called non-resident postdoc. I am looking for people social science in this forum to respond, unfortunately, it might be that not many people seem to know which is understandable. And my 'American' label in the title is making people confused as Americans seem to have more money to fund such postdoc type research in social sciences.
I have formally passed my viva and working in corrections but already looking for ideas for such types of postdocs while preparing formal postdoc grants.

K

Ganesha,

Thanks for congratulating me on my "formal" postdoc, I had no idea that you can have an informal, non-resident, or even proxy postdocs to just get paid, hence you can eat and breathe like people like me.

So from what I understand, you have passed your PhD viva and now you are looking to do (or write according to you) a postdoc to get paid even if it involves you doing (or writing according to you) a proxy postdoc for someone else so you can get paid. And that proxy postdoc possibly should come from an american university since it seems the americans have lot of money to waste on proxy postdocs which involves people writing postdocs for others who are not interested to do their postdocs themselves but instead they looking to pay someone else (possibly not even in the US) to do research for them. How ethical and original are these two group of people is beyond me!

I do not know which country you got your degrees from, but I can grantee you that there are not many americans in this forum or out there who are looking to do this kind of business, so maybe you better look somewhere else for this kind of business.

Your post is even more bizarre than any 419 types of Nigerian scams emails I have ever received in my life.

This is a respectful forum, let us keep it clean from this kind of scams. Thanks!

G

Kimwipes

Well then preach by practice starting with yourself about keeping it ethical. First go and find out more about what a non-resident post doc is in social sciences. It's as formal as the one you currently have (if you have) except the lab work in social sciences is the everyday life and the data are people/ human beings.

Do you know anything about social sciences here or anything about Nigerian PhDs? Do you know what a Phd is? How did you learn about this forum? There is nothing wrong with a Nigerian Phd even though I don't have one from there. At least, they learn how not to look down upon others who are unemployed but have same postdoc skills. Yeah.. I too get this spam emails you are talking about and wonder if it's written by people like yourself who are apparently from Nigeria?

K

Adding to the list:
No. 420: Nigerian Proxy Postdocs.... :)

G

Oh well ... Have a good night and good luck :)

K

Ganesha, I’m a social science PhD and am having trouble understanding your opening post. In my experience it’s not usual to talk about “writing” a postdoc or to refer to it as a degree. And it sounds as if you’re questioning the legitimacy yourself by asking if it’s “formal” or a “proxy postdoc” and where the money comes from. Maybe you can provide more background so that we can understand better - I've never heard of this practice.