An update

L

Hi everyone,

Gosh it's changed a lot since I was last here, all shiny and new and I'm panicking about which sub-category to post this in!

I just thought I'd get in touch with an update as I've not been online for what feels like ever. I have suspended my PhD studies due to (in my mind anyway) irreconcilable differences with my supervisor. I had a hell of a time of it in the last year of my studies and to be honest I'm still a bit at a loss as to what to do. I will be making a complaint against the university though for a few reasons, so I don't know where that will leave me afterwards. I've started a full time job which is helping me feel normal again but I still can't think about what to do with my PhD with a clear head.

I just wanted to say hello to all of the familiar faces, hope you're all doing ok, and good luck to new PhD candidates. I might pop back from time to time.

Linda

H

Hi Linda, nice to hear from you again!

You did the right thing and we will support you all the way!! Keep us update about your situation!!!

R

Unless you want to stay in academia to teach for crappy salary, well if you progress, then you might get just under 70k (might take you 20 years for that), just leave the academia ASAP. People invest too much energies in getting through a PhD programme and do not think at all about what happens after they successfully obtain a PhD.

I have seen applicants who left the PhD programme half way through. To us, it doesn't make much difference whether a candidate has a Master's or a PhD. I care a lot about the relevance of your most recent degree (because it demonstrates your interest and commitment) and the grades. I don't give a **** about your grades in A-level Art or History, or for that matter a 49 in Paradigms in the Twentieth Century Sociological Thought from a top university. The HR might have a different view on your transcript.

R

Hi Linda, thanks for the update, and for the record, you can post wherever in the forum you like :)

Quote From lindalou83:
Hi everyone,

Gosh it's changed a lot since I was last here, all shiny and new and I'm panicking about which sub-category to post this in!

I just thought I'd get in touch with an update as I've not been online for what feels like ever. I have suspended my PhD studies due to (in my mind anyway) irreconcilable differences with my supervisor. I had a hell of a time of it in the last year of my studies and to be honest I'm still a bit at a loss as to what to do. I will be making a complaint against the university though for a few reasons, so I don't know where that will leave me afterwards. I've started a full time job which is helping me feel normal again but I still can't think about what to do with my PhD with a clear head.

I just wanted to say hello to all of the familiar faces, hope you're all doing ok, and good luck to new PhD candidates. I might pop back from time to time.

Linda

Fair enough, you've had a rough time of it. Give yourself time away, enjoy the job and if / when ready approach the University with the idea of continuing part-time under a new supervisor. Be prepared to transfer registration to another University if another suitable supervisor is not available.

Before complaining, wait until your suspension is finished and you've alternative arrangements to continue if that's your choice. You do not want to rub the whole University apparatus up the wrong way before you do this as knowing how Universities react to adverse circumstances (i.e. closing ranks), you may make things more difficult for yourself. Wait until you are either with another University, you have completed your studies under a new supervisor or have decided to quit your PhD.

Once you've sorted yourself out, then complain. Take the path keeping most people on side until then.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

P

Quote From ReaderinPikey:
Unless you want to stay in academia to teach for crappy salary, well if you progress, then you might get just under 70k (might take you 20 years for that), just leave the academia ASAP. People invest too much energies in getting through a PhD programme and do not think at all about what happens after they successfully obtain a PhD.

if u wanna make $$$, u could use the expertise gained from the phd as a stepping stone to getting consultancy projects.