another job interview another load of feedback...

Hi folks, I had an interview for a post I'd be doing the work for for a couple of months this semster. I didn't get it, that was tough, but ok: they can choose who they want, but I'm finding some of the feedback difficult to settle.

The HOD gave me some inpromtu feedback, even though I'd asked him too hold off until I'd finished teaching for the day, when he bumped into me in the canteen (a conversation which was, rarther humiliatingly, interrupted by one of my - now ex - students). And one of the things he said that is still playing on my mind is that I'd done really badly on the topic of conflict resolution because I'd relied entirely on instinct and presumed the students were doing something without evidence, he said that, although we all do that, it's best not to say so in an interview. But I didn't say that! I said they were behaving a certan way and was very definite about it - I said nothing about instinct so now I 'm worried that I'm giving people the wrong idea innadvertently. In actual fact I have SEEN them doing it a couple of times. Also he said I was wrong to have emailed a difficult student because I was creating a barrier between myself and them, and that I should always get them together as a group - but I have no other way of getting messages across because I don't see them, and the email was asking her to meet me - plus t wasn't a group problem. I suspect very strongly it's one of those stitch ups, the candidate who got it has another .5 there and has been around for a while. Also we had one of those scenarios where all the candidates have to sit together for hours on end staring ito eachother's eyes, and guess what - the winning candidate went first so didn't have to endure that... whereas I went last and was stuck with someone fishing about and being competitive, going 'oh I know somene who is doing your exact topic up in Edinburgh - oh dear' which was a complete lie. BBbbbbllluuuurrrgh.

if you've got this far then thanks for reading - any thoughts would be appreciated.

N

Oh my, poor Eska!

It sounds to me you've just been around the wrong people... some jealous ones, and some cowards! Sorry for the word which I find very insulting, but I think it is anything but brave to tell you you've done 'wrong' instead of saying 'someone did better' (and it's rude, by the way!).

As for the email to that student, I reckon I would have done exactly the same, If she is a problem, it is best to confront her, and the best way to do this without singling her out is to ask for a meeting by email. I see no other way! And again, not doing anything would have been a lack of courage...

Maybe I'm a bit biased but my philosophy is, if you have a problem, face it, with as much honesty as possible. I think you have done that and none of those you mention have come near it.

Chin up, you'll have the last laugh
:-)

urgh, that's tough. I went for an exact same interview process with the internal candidate getting it recently - sounds VERY similar.

I would have no idea on questions on topic resolution. Do you have an online moodle type thing - I know some of the lecturers use that to talk to students rather than email? Although sounds like a dodgy lot of feedback - like they desperately trying to find something to pin their decision on. All I know from interviews is never say what you'd actually do, just say what they want to hear.

interviews are stupid things though - well interviewers are, you often have to say the exact phrase they have on their sheet to get a tick against that category. They could have wanted you to say something like "I would investigate whether it was true" or something LAME like that???

Anyway sounds like a stitch up - I'm sure you'll fly through the next one! (up)

Thanks Sneaks and Nadia for your nice comments. My lovely HOD said I should always speak face to face with students otherwise I'd be creating a barrier, but that just isn't always possible, or desirable/productive - especially if the student is aggressive.

He also said I needed to get a phrase which summed up my philosophy/theory on how I deal with conflict resolution - he said he was a 'rule breaker' - whatever that means. I can't see myself doing that, far to pretentious and rigid.

N

Quote From eska:

He also said I needed to get a phrase which summed up my philosophy/theory on how I deal with conflict resolution - he said he was a 'rule breaker' - whatever that means. I can't see myself doing that, far to pretentious and rigid.

I'm not sure I get that.
Did he mean you need to provide them with a mnemotechnic phrase? That could be 'breaking rules' in a sense because this would be unacademic in many ways - al in all, it is oversimplification. But I'm totally confused, I can't see why he would ask you to do that! It would work in a grammar class or an algebra class but... Nope, I don't get it! Above all, that would also be way too risky an approach if you are being observed and evaluated.
:-(

sorry Eska, he sounds like he's either a moron or he's trying to ruin your future chances in other interviews. Saying I was a 'rule breaker' when dealing with conflict is the LAST thing i'd do in an interview!

I'm confused!

I know there is a general policy to meet students to resolve conflict - but surely you need to email them to arrange a meeting!? not just hope to bump into them in the corridor at some point, maybe you should try a summoning spell next time(?)

======= Date Modified 14 Dec 2010 11:36:47 =======
======= Date Modified 14 Dec 2010 11:36:17 =======
Yeah Sneaks and Nadia, I know - very confusing tosh, it seems to me. But I do believe he would say something like 'I'm a rule breaker' in an interview, just the same as he'd spring feedback on me because he'd bumped into me in the student canteen. I did wonder if his real surname was Brent, and I'm sure I saw him doing that wiggly arm dance thing as he disappeared into the staff room...

The general policy about meeting students face to face makes sense, and my initial message was to instigate a meeting; however, I did end up having quite an email discussion with the student because she made some very heavy accusations about me in her response, and tbh when things lke that are recorded it really is best to deal with it in a way that is recorded for the sake of one's own back. Plus I couldn't have this kind of carry on during a seminar. The email discussion worked though because she is now exemplary, she got 80% for her asssignments and is a great contributor - we are on very good terms.

I suppose you could have met her with a 3rd party - i.e. the administrator responsible for the course - to take notes?? Seems a little excessive though and if they wanted the other candidate then they'd pick holes in whatever you said IMO!

So did they bring up that example in the interview or did you?

N

Well, I'm afraid that won't sort out the issue with your HOD but as far as that student is concerned, you did everything right. I've never taught undergraduates but I used to teach secondary, and I've met lecturers who ended up in sticky situations because of some students, so I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about. You protected your own back, which is always the first thing to do, and you turned the student around. I don't even see why your HOD thought he had grounds to criticize. Everyone is entitled to have their own teaching style - all that matters is that it works!

======= Date Modified 14 Dec 2010 11:50:33 =======
I raised it, becausee I am very proud of it - she is a credit to her institution now and is being entered for writing competitions - even though she is a practice base student, we are meeting for coffee soon. I think the admin team would have pee'd their pants if I'd suggested some kind of meet involving them, they are far too busy and possibly thought I was shirkig my own responsibilities, this happened at a very hectic teaching university. I've used this example in a previous interview with no problem, it's my star story on conflict resolution! I guess in future I will lie and say I spoke to her instead - it was not actually possible, but this white lie may satisfy the panel's box ticking needs...

I think you did everything right - I think it all depends on the culture of the uni/group. in my group, our admin woman comes to all meetings like this, but if that's not the norm it could look way over the top and freak everyone out - which leads to tension and bad feeling, making the problem worse.

It sounds like a stitch up, whatever you said they would have found an issue with it.

TBH is not something I would have ever considered coming up in an interview - how naive am I??

HHhhm, I'm guessing your interviews ahve not been at hectic, overstretched teaching unis where the bright students get really p'd off because the modules are so badly organised and the content can be very poor. Stay where you are - it's not fun!

trying to! got my heels dug in anyway :p

I was forgetting - I teach on an MSc, so it must be a completely different story with hundreds of undergrads. I think that's why its important to consider what the appropriate thing to do for your uni was, which you did very well IMO. I reckon they were just looking for any excuse. It sounds exactly like the interview I went for :-(