Another "thinking of quitting PhD" question with a twist

D

I'd like to ask whether anyone out there has quit their PhD, but have put their supervisor's name as a referee for job applications?

Thanks

J

One of my friends did. No problem at all. Surprisingly, the majority of supervisors appear to understand that it is sometimes the best thing to quit. They've been through the process and knows how it can affect health and wellbeing. Plus, they are intelligent enough to put things in perspective.

R

I suppose it depends on what kind of relationship you have with your supervisor? if it's bad I wouldnt bother asking. if its good then I don't see any problem in asking.

I didn't exactly leave on speaking terms with my supervisor so I've never wanted to give him the pleasure of telling me to $%ck off by asking for a reference. My second supervisor and college tutor have been amazing and because of them Ive been offered a PhD and two masters since leaving my PhD

H

You might not have a choice. I recently quit my PhD and, on applying for an RA post, discovered that I *had* to give contact details for my most recent employer (i.e. PhD supervisor) as a reference.

I wait with slight trepidation to see whether the reference I get will be any good!