Any advice for PhD interviews?

T

In the near future, I will have an important interview for a PhD studentship in molecular biology. Since I never had one before, I do not know what to expect and how to prepare. Therefore, it would be very helpful if somebody who has experience would give me some pointers.
What kind of questions are asked? What are the best answers? Do I have to wear a suit?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

U

Dress smartly - wear a suit.

Sound keen, honest, smile. Answer the questions asked. Relate your academic/work experiences to their requirements. Show them that you are an ideal fit for the work they're expecting you to do.

Arrive early. Get a good night's sleep. Eat properly.

good luck

M

Be prepared to talk (in detail) about your final year project, and also, when asked about your projected career as a post doc, don't tell them you plan to become an accountant...even if you do. Don't worry- I had an interview last month..4 of them on the 'panel' (yikes) stiff competition and I thought I had no chance being up against recent graduates (of which I am not one!!) I had to really dust off the brain cells when it came to answering questions on my final year project (my old uni library have 'sub archived it!!'...What this means is that it'd take an archeological dig to unearth it, so had to forget any chance of a quick recap!) But they will ask you this, definitely. Breath slowly if ou feel nerves starting to over some you and, if they really do at first, it's really really fine to say "excuse me if I appear nervous but this application is really important to me". They'll appreciate the honesty and won't mark you down for it. Really good luck

T

I wore a suit to my interviews, I think it sets a good impression.

I made sure I read a few articles relating to the project and made sure I had a basic idea of any techniques that were mentioned. It would be a good idea to make sure u know your dissertation, I was asked about mine in all of my interviews. I did mine on a virus, and at one interview one of the guys was a virologist and he asked me alot of questions on it.

I think one of the most important things to be able to answer is 'Why do you want to do a PhD?'.. from my experience I picked up that motivation can carry alot of weight in interview. I was also asked about what my impression of PhD study was.. Its a bit of an open ended question but I think they wanted to make sure that I knew it wasnt going to be an easy ride.

Anyhow.. Thats all i can think of for now, hope it helps!

S

Hi there! Well I've been on the other end - I was on the interview panel for the PhD student who is continuing my work (they couldn't afford a post-doc for me ) - but it's very illuminating. I wouldn't say you need to wear a suit, but dress smartly. Go prepared - make sure you read the advert (if there was one) carefully, and make sure you can answer a question on every aspect highlighted in the application, and how your skills/experience match those they ask for. Don’t worry if there are some aspects that you don’t have matching skills/experience – a PhD is about training – just show from some other experience that you are adaptable and quick to learn, or have similar skills. Read some relevant papers - not essential, but can make a difference (you should know the basics at least).

S

Make a list of your strengths that you want to highlight, and if you don't get an opportunity in the questions they ask you to highlight it, bring it up separately e.g. 'I don't know if you're aware but... I have this experience...' (or whatever). Have a list of questions you want answered for your own interest & peace of mind (it's ok to take in a notebook). Be prepared to answer 'what are your strengths & weaknesses' (always seems to pop up) - when you give a weakness, back it up by a strength (e.g. I'm not great at time management, but I always make sure I make my deadlines even if it means I have to work into the early hours to get it done). But try not to be cocky, and say you have no weaknesses - you come across as being more likeable if you admit to not being perfect! And... I know it's difficult, but relax! None of the interview panel are out to get you - if you get an interview, then basically they like you already ;o) Good luck!

T

Thanks guys!
I greatly appreciate your advice!

L

This might sound a bit cliched but when they ask you if you have any questions always have a couple up your sleeve, it makes you seem genuinely interested in the project and not just that you are doing a PhD for PhD's sake. You can also use the questions you are asking them to your advantage eg: 'I see you are doing x, when I was doing x in my final year project/RA job I always found that y happened, how are you getting around this?' This makes you seem interested and also knowledgable!