Any Advice for this Lost Soul?!

I

I passed my viva with minor corrections a few months ago and currently I'm applying for postdocs and research jobs in NGOs/companies. I'm currently in Canada as I got a part-time teaching job last November which lasted until July of this year, and am currently applying for jobs both in Canada and the UK. The one thing I seem to have underestimated is how competitive getting a job has become: my PhD is in Economics from Oxbridge, I have 4 years research and teaching experience, speak four languages fluently, and am good at both quant and qualitative methods (used both for my thesis).
Nonetheless, now I feel so worthless: I have submitted applications for JRFs but even my supervisor warned me they are fiercely competitive, applied for vacancies at two Canadian ministries, and am going to apply for another postdoc back in the UK. Was it a mistake to do the PhD? It's just so depressing to see ppl who don't even have a Bachelors working and getting married, etc...whilst I'm not getting any younger and still can't find one job in either country. Is anyone going thru a similar situation? Would appreciate any comments as I'm new to this experience.

D

I think you should aim to find something to tide you over, get some work cup and look for the dream job. Maybe teaching, the foreign office/gov jobs, or a charity.

Good luck. You will get there.

H

Was it a mistake to do the PhD? It's just so depressing to see ppl who don't even have a Bachelors working and getting married, etc.

Is there any point dwelling on this question? You've done a PhD and the important thing is how you use that to move on to the next adventure/challenge in life. If that doesn't turn out to be a postdoc, it doesn't meet the PhD was a waste of time.

Try not to compare your life to others'. No-one has a straightforward ride and you don't know what challenges your peers may have faced in the past or will in the future. Do you really resent people "who don't even have a Bachelors" finding some happiness or success in their work or personal lives? For all you know, they may be looking at you enviously for the freedom you had to pursue education to the highest level and work overseas.

The job hunting is tough and the academic job market is ropey. That sucks, and is bound to wear you down. But try to focus your energies on different approaches to job hunting. Have you built up any networks via your PhD/conferences? Now is the time to approach them for news on opportunities. If you have no professional network, get on Twitter/go to seminars and events and build one. Have you had someone look at your CV/application forms to check that you are putting yourself across in the best way? If you survived the PhD process you're clearly capable of hanging in there and having the stamina to keep going - treat the job hunt as a potentially long term project and apply a similar mentality if you can.

Good luck.

I

Hi HazyJane
Many thanks for the wonderful reply! I certainly don't resent anyone finding happiness that's cruel- I am simply not happy about my situation and those people I referred to happen to be my best friends.
I have emailed a few individuals that I became acquainted with either through conferences or my supervisor- fingers crossed this will lead to something. As for someone looking at the CV, unfortunately I cannot use the Careers Service at my uni as I'm currently overseas, but I don't think it's a bad CV.
I am just shocked at how competitive this whole thing is, and was hoping there are others with similar experiences who could share their views. It's not that I frown upon people who are not as qualified or their jobs- it's just that I went thru so much to get this PhD and asking for a job that appeals to my skillset (pay is not an issue) is not unreasonable. Are you currently in the same boat?

H

Not as yet, I still have a few months to go. Reading stuff here and elsewhere has made me aware in advance of the challenging nature of the job hunt so I am bracing myself for that.

Even if you don't have access to a careers service, friends and colleagues can still be useful for casting an eye over your CV, especially if they're in the roles you're working towards. It doesn't mean your CV is bad, it could just be that you're not emphasising the right things, or highlighting certain things well enough. No harm in asking them!

Basically, make as much use as you can of anyone who can give pointers or advice. They may also know of some opportunities to point you towards. Most people are usually happy to help.

I

Thanks HazyJane will get someone to look at the CV. In the meantime, I've just been applying for jobs and fellowships, working on publications on the side, and keeping my fingers crossed. Is there anything else I can do?