Any help?

Z

======= Date Modified 16 35 2008 14:35:45 =======
Basically I've come to a point where I need a specific dataset, but although I've tried everything (contacting supervisors, university library, datasets I can have access to), I can't get access to it . It costs a few thousands of US dollars to buy, which for me is unaffordable. I was wondering whether any of you have access to International Country Risk Guide (ICRG) data, and feel like doing a good deed today??? Obviously there will be a good mention in the
"I am grateful to" section of my PhD ;-)

S

Hi Zvezda
Is that the full and correct title as I can't seem to find it, only the "Handbook of Country Risk"

Z

It is correct sleepyhead. I have had a look at the "Handbook of Country Risk", but I am afraid it's not suitable.
Thank you very much for having a look, I appreciate the interest :-)

W

Is there a specific section you want? Or is it the entire lot?

Z

Well it would be great if I could get their indices for Rule of Law, corruption, and political risk for every country they are doing for the years 1989-2006. But other than that I will be grateful for whatever I can get :-)

W

Is it an excel file and code book by any chance? That hasthe twelve components of political risk in the ICRG Researchers Dataset:

* Government Stability
* Socioeconomic Conditions
* Investment Profile
* External Conflict
* Corruption
* Military in Politics
* Religion in Politics
* Law and Order
* Ethnic Tensions
* Democratic Accountability
* Bureaucracy Quality

Z

I think that is exactly that! Their researcher's dataset!!!!

W

Grrr, my university is crap for access to stuff like this. Please give me a little time to try and get it for you - I'll ask someone who may be able to help me.

Z

======= Date Modified 16 Sep 2008 22:19:17 =======
Thank you, that is very nice of you :-)

My university isn't that great when it comes to databases either, and it's supposed to be one of those that do provide good access to resources. :p

Thanks again.

W

Got it!!!! I'll upload it for you now and send you an address to get it!

W

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Got it!!!! I'll upload it for you now and send you an address to get it!

Grrr, just ignore what I put. It's not quite the right file :$

T

This brings up a couple of interesting questions:

* Did your supervisors know when you started that you would need access to this database? Because if so, then thats not very good planning on their part - issues of access and cost should have been written into any funding proposal (if there was one).

* What are University rules on supplying data to somebody else outside the University?

* How would you explain in your thesis how you got hold of it?

Luckily, you have some very nice people on this forum who are always happy to help :-) . My office mate always emails the author/organisation if they can't get hold of something, and usually they go above and beyond what they asked (e.g. send hard cover books for free!) or offer substantially reduced rates. So that might be worth trying if you get stuck again in the future; I guess that most people are just happy to know that somebody actually wants to use their stuff ;-)

W

Ok, Zvezda, I can get it but there's an awful lot of documents. Can you let me know what you'd like most - there's far too much to download everything.

W

Zveda, I've sent you're best off getting what you need for yourself. I've sent you the log in details to access it. Do it ASAP before it stops working.

W

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Zveda, I've sent you're best off getting what you need for yourself. I've sent you the log in details to access it. Do it ASAP before it stops working.

fxxking technology - I can't send you a private message, so here is how to get it.

On your internet explorer, go to the tools tap, click on internet options, click on the connections tab and then go to lan settings. Click on it and then click the proxy server tab. After doing this enter

150.216.136.13 - as the address and
8080 - as the port

click on ok.

Then go to the uni of carolina website, go to the library website and search using the key terms international country risk. You'll find that PRS Group International Country Risk Guide [electronic resource] is one of the hits
If you click on it, it'll take you to the Lexus Nexus website and you'll be able to search for exactly what you want from it. I couldn't get it for you as there's so much data, so best for you to get what you want specifically. Please bear in mind that this proxy pass will not last for very long, so be quick about it.

Hope it helps