Any words from the wise?

T

I started my PhD in early September and I have hit a blank. I have no idea what to do. I've done a lot of reading, draft literature review, started my methods and found somewhere to do my experiments BUT I feel like I'm getting nowhere. I really don't know what to do. I have tried making a 'to do' list but I can't even seem to do that properly. Does anyone have some words of advice or even just something to make me smile and motivate me to do more work.
Thank you
Tilly

P

Tilly, wow--I think you've done TONS and you should give yourself a pat on the back, to be honest.
I think these things take their own course...you know what comes next, ethics, starting experiments, whatever... If you really feel stuck, maybe tell the supervisors you'll write a lit review and give a deadline, so you have to work on something

C

Hi Tilly. You are at a very early stage. Certainly you cannot have read enough to write a literary review at this stage. Reading is a process that needs to be constantly up-dated. Secondly, what did you find out in what you have read so far? There must be things that literature doesn't cover, discrepancies, problems, etc. How do you plan to fill these gaps? Usually students' find the task of doing a PhD daunting because they focus on the big issue. Don't think about the completion. It's good to have a generic plan - which is going to evolve as you research- and then break it in small chunks. Have you ever tried mind mapping? It may be useful. You may want to look at this:
http://www.mind-map.com/mindmaps/

S

I kind of meet with the same problem, now i am trying to write up a report as i read the literatures. when you write down your ideas and the points you get from the previous work in a logical way, you cannot only enhance your understanding of the subject but make some new discoveries and find more problems that you need to make more efforts to ascertain.

X

Spiegboy is absolutely right--this is most certainly the best thing to do. Also, I've found keeping a running list of the materials that were most useful has cut out so much confusion. I keep this as a list of things that have been read and are to be read again at a later date.