Anyone doing a non lab based Life Science PhD?

D

Hi,

Im interested in doing a non lab based PhD in either Forensic Science or human genetic evolution. My current area of interests are:

Forensics: DNA profiling, crime scene DNA evidence collection and forensic entomology.
Human Genetic Evolution: Genetic variation between subdivided populations, human evoloution

I have a BSc in Genetics and MSc in Forensic Archaeological Science, both from London Universities.

As you can see these are all "lab based" interests and I am having great difficulty in thinking of a non lab based approach to study and investigate a problem in either Forensic Science DNA profiling or Human Evolution. Ive been reading various papers for a year now and still cannot come up with something that is PhD worthy that is not lab based. I could ask supervisors to think of a project for me but I guess I will be shooting myself in the foot and already showing them that Im incapable of thinking myself.

I guess you are wondering why I dont just do a lab based project? Unfortunately, Im in my 30s and have a family and cannot afford to quit my current job, european business manager for a Biotech, to become a student again. Im doing this PhD for personal reasons and to enhance my knowledge and interest in these topics.

Im on the point of quiting my dream now and accept that I will never have a PhD. Were any one of you in a simmilar problem to me but overcame it? (i.e. science background, interested in doing a science PhD but unable to do it FT)

I would be interested to hear your story....