Anyone else really really tired?

X

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've been sleeping loads,can't seem to get enough of the stuff. I've started taking naps in the afternoon as well, which I really look forward too! I seem to sleep better in the afternoon for some reason. At night, I just toss and turn. I hope this is just a phase, because at the moment it seems like the only thing I look forward to is returning to my bed!

O

@pam
I had the strangest dream last night, I can only remember pieces of it, despite waking up and trying to remember it. I would be very interested to hear an intepretation...

I took a train to a large station that was part train station, part art museum, in the Greek Revival style that you see in the federal buildings in Washington DC. The setting was def not UK in style, but perhaps part DC, part Chicago art museum. I was supposed to meet friends at the station, but when I did not find them, I texted them. They had gone to an Irish pub while waiting for my train. I met them outside of the station at a vendor's selling hotdogs. I felt sort of lost, forlorn and abandoned as I tried to find them and waited for them to turn up, which they eventually did.

O

http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/archive/oldnews5/dreaminterpretation.htm

found this website that has dream interpretation symbols...art means ideals, a railway station, birth, a train, a journey...a pub, social contact.

could this dream have been about my PhD after all? what is a PhD if not ideas and ideals--the birth of ideas/ideals, a journey in the mind...where the pub symbol fits in I don't know, but the arrival at the art museum/train station by train could be a dream metaphor for...starting a PhD? starting a new phase of the PhD?

P

I would agree with the train being a journey - a journey of knowledge, and your friends represent the knowledge you are acquiring but sometimes you feel lost and can't find out the things you want to or the results you want are not forthcoming.

O

I always seem to be hurtling over cliffs in cars I can't control cause the breaks have failed... Either that or trying to get up a hill and the cars slipping backwards and gaining momentum as I slide further and further down... I don't hold much store by the dream symbolism stuff - seems pretty derivative to me. Feel free to interpret you dreams as you wish.
On the bright side, I figure if I'm dreaming I'm sleeping and I can't get enough of that either. Sleep - the drug of choice for doctoral candidates.
Cheers,
Anna

T

Thanks Nadia and Golfpro, i have since cleaned the fan and the noise is still very much present. been told i need to replace fan.

S

This morning I dreamt I was smuggling guns in some guerilla war out in the Fens.

I think keeping regular hours helps stave off exhaustion. I can't do the increasingly late nights - late morning thing as I have an alarm clock that wails for mummy at 6-7 every morning. But actually that's good as I have to keep more regular hours and just can't afford to lose too much sleep or work too late at night.

So I recommend keeping as regular hours as you can. Hard I know as I never used to either.

B

My sleep is so disturbed! I haven't had a decent night's sleep in over a month. I would give anything to have a night where I slept right through. Instead, I go in and out of sleep and wake up feeling lousy. I think insomnia is probably one of the biggest ailments suffered by PhD students. In the past couple of weeks, nearly ever single dream has involved being chased, and trying to run away, but I have no energy whatsoever, and my limbs feel like jelly!