Anyone know how examiners read a thesis?

S

I'm writing my thesis now, but I wonder which part they usually focus on? Do they read the results and discussion chapters more careful than the things before them? Will they read my experimental methods carefully? I mean, do I have to dig out every detail of my experiments and write them down? Is it worth it? I hope I don't need to spend too much time writing every detail. If they don't read it carefully, then I shouldn't waste my time write a very detailed thesis.

E

Hello, it may vary depending on discipline, but the overall advice is they can focus on absolutely everything. It also depends on the examiner's own interests and expertise. For example, I know I'm likely to be questioned on my epistemology/ontology. You need to clearly explained what you did, why you did it, how you did it, and what you found/what this means. I started by writing everything - I couldn't submit it as it would have been enough content for 2 thesis! I then went through and made it concise and clear. I then removed bits I felt were too explanatory and not adding to the thesis.