Anyone NOT using any referencing software whatsoever??

Z

...and just typing the reference into a Word document when they've cited something? Ive been doing this for 18 months, and i know i should start using Endnote (i have the software), but laziness is stopping me from typing it all in there.
Is it really worth it, now I've got halfway through my PhD without it?? Is anyone else doing it old skool?

A

I didn't use any reference managing software for my masters - and regretted it deeply;(but-if you have all your references in Word, you could easily export them to Endnote format.

S

I wrote my dissertation last year without EndNote, I'm writing my Lit Rev this year with it. It's an absolute god send because it manages the citations, formats the bibliography and automatically updates the house style according to whatever journal you are writing (or your uni stipulates). It also manages your reading list for you.

I've started the process of updating my dissertation into from last year into EndNote ahead of me writing a paper on it. I've found at least a dozen citation and referencing errors so far and I thought I tooth-combed it before I submitted it. So from me, it's a must and it won't take you long to put the Word references into EndNote.

V

Not using any reference management software would be as walking 30 miles instead of taking the bus. I didnt use it for Masters and deeply regreted later.

A

Definitely don't try to produce a thesis without a proper reference manager. The time taken to sort out your refs now will be well worth it.

P

Zelda, I was in a similar situation. I am a bit of a luddite and couldn't be bothered learning how to use Endnote. Then I had to write a review article for publication and had no choice but to use Endnote to write it. I had a pile of about 400 articles that had to be entered, so I just took a couple of days off from other PhD work and entered them all in. Once you set it up, it is easy to use it each time you get a new reference you want to keep....but the sooner you start, the better. Do it today!!!

Z

Ok, you've all convinced me, thanks for the thoughts! ( i dont want to be a luddite anymore). My next question is, does anyone know how to import them from Word???

T

I must admit I'm facing the same problem. Also, I have endnote on my Department computer, but I do a lot of writing on my home computer. So a) can you get free/cheap licenses for home use, and b) how can you update the two copies?

V

there is no free/cheap Endnote but you can by a student version of it for £75 https://directory.adeptscience.co.uk/products/search/1/1/474/cat474.html

Actually £75 is definitely a good price taking into account how much work Endnote saves.

A

as for using Internet at home- as long as you have the Internet, you can use the web-based version, Endnote Web http://www.endnoteweb.com/

T

Cheers

R

hi
does anyone know if it is possible to transfer endnote files from one computer to another. I have endnote on my home computer but don't know how to transfer all of my references to it - any ideas?
thanks

S

I have seen too many students just before submitting in a state of panic trying to sort of their references to not use Endnote myself.

V

rah: either email to yourself or save on a memory stick the file that contains all your references and then save it on the another computer. basically the same as with any file.

R

thank you Verdy - seems obvious now you've said it - bit of a technophobe! thanks