Anyone read any of the books on Findaphd.com

C

I was wondering if anyone has read any of the books on "how to do a PhD" advertised on the findaphd.com website. The discriptions seem to all say the same thing so I was wondering if anyone has read any of them and could reccomend one and why. I would much prefer one written from a European presepetive rather than a 7 year American one.
Cheers

M

I've read "How to get a PhD" by Estelle Phillips. It's good, but a lot of these books are area-specific, and I would presume the best way to learn about thesethings is to speak to supervisors, post-docs, or current PhD students, or even ask stuff on here.

A

I've read 'The Unwritten Rules of PhD Research'. I found it really interesting and quite witty too. It mentions various aspects of a PhD such as conferences, supervisors, writing, reading etc. I've found it really useful. It's a general book, which is good for those people (like me) who are not scientists!

C

Thanks for the replies. A witty book that is useful sounds good. I talk to my supervisor and fiends doing PhDs daily but thought one of these books can't do any harm. Can only be an extra help if anything. I should have said I am an Ecology student looking at parasites in Carnivores

J

"fiends doing PhDs "

Was that a Freudian slip?

C

Always find friends that are fiends for something far more interesting!