Anyone submitting soon?

W

Hi All, I have just had the feedback on my draft thesis and I've been told I should be ready to submit in 2-3 weeks. I would be elated if I really believed it could happen in this time, it seems like there is so much left to do! I'm plagued by self doubt: Is it original enough? Was my analysis robust enough? etc. Because I don't think I'll achieve it in this time, I'm procrastinating, which is bad I know! Also I work full time and I'm finding it hard to find the time and energy for the PhD in the evenings and weekends. I feel like I've given up my life for so long for this, I want it back! But I know I have to knuckle down if I'm ever going to get to the end!
Just wondered if there is anyone out there in a similar position? Or if you have already submitted, what were the last few weeks like? How did you make it through?

H

WritingUp - I have been told by my supervisor that I could complete before January - but I envision taking until March, what with all the stuff I still have left to do. It is crazy. But I have been told by friends who have completed that one day it suddenly all comes together and you have a thesis ready to submit. Good luck - can you tell me what sorts of things they have told you, you need to do to get it ready to submit?

W

Hi Hillyg, many thanks for your reply. I've been told quite a few different things I need to do, some of them are more analysis of my findings in one area (!), perhaps looking at a theorist I did not cover (!), and writing more about what my research says about the usefulness of the theories I used. I am also going through and checking my references, page numbers for quotes etc, which is taking ages, and I need to do proof-reading, I keep finding so many mistakes! Good luck with submitting, are you tempted to try and hand it in before Xmas?

P

I am due to submit soon - December 22 to be precise. I still don't have a full first draft - half way through last chapter now. Half of my thesis has been published and I am allowed to put those papers in as chapters unchanged, so half is polished and won't need changing. I don't think I will get finished by Christmas though.

I expect the whole checking, references, formatting, printing etc. will take longer than I think it will too.

I find my Mum is good at proofreading and checking references. She has no idea what she is reading, but arm her with a red pen and she is fantastic at spotting errors - especially commas. She is even happy reading reference lists and checking they are all formatted the same...also good at making cakes to keep me motivated!

H

I would love to hand in before Xmas but I know it won't happen. I am working hard at the moment but there is so much still to do - including some serious textual analysis for a 5000 word section of my third chapter. That said I think it is coming together, just not fast enough. Am trying to finish first of three sections of my lit review today - but slow progress. and a reading list as long as my arm to track down when i re-draft!

W

I've just decided that I won't be able to submit before Xmas without having a nervous breakdown! I sat down with my diary and what I need to do and worked out that I just don't have enough days in between teaching etc. I'm going to make all my changes before Xmas and then proof-read in the first week after Xmas. As long as submit before term starts in Jan I'll be happy.

I hate moving deadlines! But I suppose its better than submitting without having time to proof-read!