Application Process.. Advice or Comiseration Please

A

Hi. I'm in the process of applying to ONE program (my dream program).. will apply to more next year if I don't succeed. I know this is general, but is anyone else out there in my boat... going crazy knowing that I'm throwing myself headlong into this and won't even know for 7 months if I'm in.. and even though I'm a strong candidate, my chances are still slim just because of the numbers? Any advice on increasing my chances?

O

I'd strongly advise not to throw all eggs into one basket. As you said, competition is fierce, but hope is the key to success. Lots of luck.

A

Thanks- I agree. Only thing is that if I sell my house in CA right now, I will take a big hit financially. I'm really only willing to take that loss for my first choice. I'd rather wait a year (I have a good job in the meantime) and hope that the real estate market improves in the next 18 mos. Even if it doesn't, I'll apply to 5 or 6 next year and also get a second shot at my top choice. At that point, if I have to take a loss on the house, I'll just suck it up

M

Have you fully investigated other programs? I only ask because when I was applying for my Masters I thought I'd only apply to my favourite choice without actaully looking further than websites and brochures for the other options. In the end it took so long for my application to get processed I got worried and applied else where just in case. I then got invited to go to an interview at my second choice and as it turned out I actually prefered what was originally a fall-back option and turned down my original 'dream' choice.

H

Hello,

Just thought I would let you know you're not alone! I too have applied to only one programme. I wasn't even thinking about further study before I saw the ad. Mines a funded programme because I can't afford to fund myself. When I saw it I just desperately wanted to do it. Ive applied and now Im waiting. Have no idea how long it will take to get a response! Mine will mean lots of sacrifices like giving up a full time job and selling my house..

I think my message to you is that if this is your dream then you must follow it if you can!! Good luck with it!

Suz