Application Process for Masters. Elitist intervies??

J

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on the application process. I have just finished my 2nd year at uni with 1st/2.1 module results and hope to achieve a firm 2.1 next year in English and Creative Writing.

I have sent of for some post grad information at several uni's but when is the right time to reply?

Also, I am petrified of the interviews! I am from an average family in the midlands with no airs and graces and am concerned that the interviewer will be more concerned about my background/accent than acamdemic qualifications.. Does anybody else feel this way?

J

T

I wouldn't worry too much about your background.. I bet alot of the interviewers will be from comparable backgrounds.. Its never affected me in the past.. I come from Yorkshire, I certainly have no airs and graces and my accent is like something off emmerdale so I wouldn't worry too much about that.. The most important thing really is your academic merit.. You could be as posh as anything and still be as thick as pigsh*t lol.

G

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

J

Ok, thank u.. it's just that I'm the only person from my family to take a higher education and all of my friends are planning to end their studies at degree level so I wasn't sure what to expect!

C

Hi Jamie,
don't be concerned. I am a foreigner and none of my parents has a degree. Nobody has ever enquired about my family's academic background. I applied for my Masters and later for my PhD around February/ March to start in October, so I would say 7-8 months earlier than your supposed starting date. I suppose you will also apply for funding, so it may worth to enquire the Uni you intend to go to first. As far as the interview is concerned, mine was mainly centred on which skills I had and what training I needed, what I intended to focus on and why. I felt I was hopeless at everything, but clearly that wasn't the case because I got my place and here I am ! Good Luck with yours!

T

Yep, like everyone else said, don't get hung up on any class issue. If you've read the posts on here, I hope you find that we all sound nice enough people and not posh idiots??!

I tick a fair few disadvantaged boxes (only person in family to go to University, divorced parents, rubbish state school) and they still let me in! At interview they'll concentrate on your academic credentials.

G

To put it bluntly, one of my old Uni's would let Bobo the chimp in from Blackpool Zoo if he could pay the fees. Not a reflection on you.

C

Hope you are not serious golfpro. I don't think anyone would embark on PG studies with the idea that he/she was accepted only bacause can afford to pay fees. Perhaps I come from a different world. People like Jamie, who put a lot of effort on their studies and get good results without help should be encouraged. Talent needs to be cherished and I don't think your comment was appropriate to the situation, even as a joke. Just my opinion.

G

Unfortunately I'm deadly serious. Money seems to talk re some postgraduate courses out there. I have mentioned this before and regular posters will know what Uni I'm refering to. Bobo by-the-way has just got a 2.2 at Undergraduate level from the same Uni.

V

They don't care about your background and accent, it is all about having the right requirements. I never had an interview with any of the places I got accepted to.

V

golfpro I was only asked about paying the fees once I was accepted. Which makes sense. Neither places I got accepted knows how I could fund the course (one I can't even and they never checked before hand).

G

Yep some places are better than others in that respect I'm sure.

R

Depending on the university Jaime, your background may be an advantage if you're applying to the top uni's. As they still have WP targets from HEFCE to hit and the postgrads can be including in those targets.
Don't give your background another thought with regards the interview as if you worry about it, it could affect your performance.Also if in the interview they ask where you're from, don't panic!It's a common ice-breaker question.It will be just the interviewer interested as often you find your interviewers are from the same area (even if they don't sound like it)!
Plus when I was doing my BSc, I was one of a handful to have come from a family where every member had been to university so I don't think you're in a minority any more

M

Jaime; congratulations on the score. I hope you go on to do as Masters programme and with those grades, am certain you will do.

What I will say is continue your hard work and come out of university with a First. People may say that it doesn't make it any easier to get into the workplace with one (and I agree with this!) but I think it will make it easier for you to carry on in academia and various institutions will recognise this. I was expecting a 2.1 and did better than I thought. My overall grade gave me the confidence to approach institutions I'd never have dreamt of speaking too.

V

My advisor told me the earliest you apply the better. Your background/accent wouldn't better. It's purely based on proof you can fulfil their requirements, experience, how interested in the subject area you are....like for a first degree.