Applying for a PhD and scared...

J

I'm applying for a PhD in neuroscience, one of these competitive studentship ones (BBSRC). The project sounds great and the lab really productive and cutting edge. I've been up to visit and they all were really friendly and great. However, it's now coming up to short-listing time and I'm beginning to worry that I shouldn't be putting all my eggs in one basket kind of thing!

I've got a 2(i) and a masters in neuroscience. I've also had 2 years work experience as an RA and I've been published and presented at an international conference but I worry if my 2(i) is going to let me down. Should I be applying to more projects, even if I'm not as keen on them? And what's the likelihood of me being able to secure funding from other sources for this current project if I don't get the studentship? And what's that noise under my bed?!?

Any words of reassurance or alternatively a big slap in the face from reality would be much appreciated!

(sprout)

K

Hey Jimmy! Well it sounds like you are well qualified for the PhD- the main issue will be what your competitors have got on their CV! I wouldn't worry unduly about the 2(i), plenty of people get onto PhDs with 2(i)s and some even with 2(ii)s. You might well be lucky and get your hands on this one, but even if someone else beats you to it, I think you stand a very good chance of getting another PhD or perhaps even funding from elsewhere for the same project. It is probably worth looking out for other projects- I would advise you to be open-minded, but not to take on something that really doesn't interest you. Some people trawl through their PhDs whilst hating their subject area, but for me it is my enthusiasm and genuine fascination with my topic that keeps me going. Everyone's different I guess! If you can't find a project that interests you then you could come up with your own project and ask someone suitable if they would consider supervising it for you. My PhD is a project that my supervisor and myself designed and then applied for funding from several sources- this allows you a greater say in what you do and how you do it, and more flexibility if you decide to change things along the way. Good luck with the short-list, let us know how you get on! KB

P

I can't believe you're really doubting the fact you could easily get onto a PhD course! It sounds like you could walk onto one with all those things on your CV :)
Plenty of people I have met doing neuroscience PhDs had a 2:1, no publications, little previous research experience, no conference presentations, no masters etc. and still got to do a fell funded PhD so the 2:1 shouldn't be a hindrance, unless perhaps if you're looking at the very top unis. I agree you should apply for more than one however as other candidates might impress the panel more at the interview or have other factors leading to them being chosen. Don't be scared!

S

Hiya,

I was awarded a BBSRC studentship last year and the competition was tough. I feel really lucky to have got it. The interview went so well as I was very prepared and had had other previous interviews shortly before that didn't go so well. I had the same qualifications as you with a 2(i) and a masters so I think you will look good on paper. Just prepare thoroughly for the interview and have some mock ones before hand.

I applied to a lot of PhD's but I am interested in a lot of areas. I wouldn't apply to ones that don't interest you but it would be good to have some back ups. A good idea might be to contact PI's in the area that you do enjoy. Just send them an email saying that you are enthusiastic and passionate about your science interests and ask if they have any projects available or if they know anyone who might. I sent a lot round and I got a lot of good responses. I got selected to be put forward for a studentship at Cambridge but it was my first interview and it went rubbish so didn't get it.

So yea, my advice is keep your options open!

Good luck.

T

JimmyGee

You sound very well qualified to me! I'm in science (psychiatric genetics) and got offers with a 2i, no masters and a basic year in industry, so you're way ahead of the average I'd say. That said, there are no certainties and if you really want to do a phd then keep you're eyes peeled for other projects that might interest you. There's nothing to be lost by applying for other posts, although I'd agree with the others that you shouldn't commit to a topic unless it truly interests you.

D

Hi all! My first post here.

OP, I'm kind of in a similar situation. I've seen one funded project that I've quite literally fell in love with. I've been in touch with the supervisor by email and over the phone and after seeing my CV he suggested that I should definitely apply. Now he's not responsible for admissions so I'm very scared that I may not even make it to the interview stage. I have a BSc and MSc in pharmacology related areas, a publication, and plenty of lab experience..although I have been out of work (and therefore the scientific world) since I graduated (which worries me also). So if I'm competing with the likes of you (2 years RA + conference), then I have no chance :-(

I think if I don't get the studentship, I'll contact academics at a number of unis who are in the area I want to go into and maybe send them a provisional proposal and see how it develops. I'm also in the middle of applying to other funded projects which are similar to my interests. This PhD malarky is quite daunting isn't it?

C

Hi, im new here too!

Thats great you found a project you love! I am sure that you will get something that you really enjoy considering you have so much experience!

I was applying recently and came across two projects that i loved, one was a funded by a BHF scholarship, the other didnt have funding yet. I also applied to one of those 4 year studentships with the BHF- had an interview and when i found out i didnt get it i was into panic mode applying for everything that interested me! I agree, it is daunting.

Luckily i got offered the the bhf project that i love and I accepted it yesterday.

Your CV would make mine look empty (still an undergraduate) so I am sure that you will get something that you will love.(up)

J

Hey all,

thanks for the responses, kind of what I was hoping and expecting but it's always good to hear from people who have been through this. I've been looking around a lot more and though I haven't found anything else, I guess I'll keep trying. More importantly, I spoke to my supervisor who told me that even if I didn't get the competive funding, he'd be happy to help me secure some more funding! Even if I dont get anything this time round, there's always the next year, and I'll be even better prepared!!!

Doctor_love, I hope all goes well with your application!

Happy new year!

(up)

P

Having read your post, its seems like you have nothing to lose by applying, and you should at the same time explore other avenues at the same time and God willing the right thing will happen for you. All the best JimmyGee.

L

Hi JimmyGee,

I am in such a similar position myself - only my area is different. I just had interviews at two universities and both of them went great, one of them even implied that I already got the place, the only thing is funding.
However, they didn't know that I had an awful GPA of 2.51/4.00 in my BA. The rest in my CV is quite promising with a distinction, publication and a conference paper coming but I just sent in my application and having pains in the stomach already.
BUT, I think it is mostly your MA and research experience that counts more. Basically all competitions are fierce and awfully competitive (we do have to remember that) but someone gets the studentship in the end and I think it is best if you watch for any other alternatives. It won't help to worry about things that you cannot change, but you've done your best and I'm sure your efforts will be acknowledged. Sounds like you have done quite a lot to deserve it.
Best of luck!

leaf.