applying for a PhD

O

Hi, I would just like to ask a question relating to applying for PhDs. I am 33, and did my undergrad when I was 19-22 at a good University. I got a 2i and did a masters the next year in a different subject but one in which my undergrad subject has many applications. After that I started work for a company in R&D and spent the best part of 5 years there before being made redundant. After that I started to lose my confidence and I could only manage short term temporary contracts for other companies in R&D and QC. I had gaps between these jobs, I tried to make constructive use of my time but the things I did did not always have relation to my degrees. As my last science job ended unhappily, I lost my confidence in getting other related work, that was more than 18 months ago. I am now feeling that there was actually no rational reason to feel that way, and I do find myself aspiring to continue with what I was good at and progress if I can. I am concerned that prospective PhD supervisors would question these time gaps that I have. I would be very grateful if anyone has any similar experiences, or has some idea of what I can expect if applying for a PhD. My main concerns are the time gaps and that my MSc and some of the work I have done, was different to my BSc.

H

I guess what's the most important thing when you're doing a PhD is that you're really interested in the subject you're studying. Lets face it, you're going to be spending the majority of time with the subject for three years, so the topic can't be something you are only halfway bothered about.

I finished my Ugrad psychology in 2008 and got a 1st and then followed straight after with an MSc in psychological research methods. After that I worked in mental health as a research assistant and assistant psychologist for 2 years in high secure services. After those posts finished, I packed a rucksack and went travelling from the UK to New Zealand with the intention to return home and complete my PhD after a year travelling. HOWEVER whilst I was in NZ I started checking out scholarships and applied and was offered a scholarship in Health Psychology at Massey Uni. A bit random and out of the blue, but by far the best decision I made.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you love your subject, don't worry about your CV. As long as you can explain your employment history and rationale for leaving positions then I can't see it being an issue. PhD is a big commitment and supervisors actually like you to have time away from academia. Making a decision to return to it in my eyes shows your commitment to furthering your education, rather than being something detrimental. When people get into the 'real world' it's harder to come back to a very low paid position and hours and hours of research!

Best of luck in your decision-making! H

A

You really should have reasons for the gaps in your CV but that doesn't mean that supervisors are intolerant of or look down on them. They just go to show that you have experienced the real world outside of academia. Having experience especially science based experience is a good thing even if it's patchy.

It is advisable to make contact with potential supervisors to discuss your application before you apply.

O

Quote From alleycat393:

You really should have reasons for the gaps in your CV but that doesn't mean that supervisors are intolerant of or look down on them. They just go to show that you have experienced the real world outside of academia. Having experience especially science based experience is a good thing even if it's patchy.

It is advisable to make contact with potential supervisors to discuss your application before you apply.

Thank you very much for your reply, I will do just that.

O

Quote From heatherb1:

I guess what's the most important thing when you're doing a PhD is that you're really interested in the subject you're studying. Lets face it, you're going to be spending the majority of time with the subject for three years, so the topic can't be something you are only halfway bothered about.

I finished my Ugrad psychology in 2008 and got a 1st and then followed straight after with an MSc in psychological research methods. After that I worked in mental health as a research assistant and assistant psychologist for 2 years in high secure services. After those posts finished, I packed a rucksack and went travelling from the UK to New Zealand with the intention to return home and complete my PhD after a year travelling. HOWEVER whilst I was in NZ I started checking out scholarships and applied and was offered a scholarship in Health Psychology at Massey Uni. A bit random and out of the blue, but by far the best decision I made.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you love your subject, don't worry about your CV. As long as you can explain your employment history and rationale for leaving positions then I can't see it being an issue. PhD is a big commitment and supervisors actually like you to have time away from academia. Making a decision to return to it in my eyes shows your commitment to furthering your education, rather than being something detrimental. When people get into the 'real world' it's harder to come back to a very low paid position and hours and hours of research!

Best of luck in your decision-making! H

Thank you very much for your reply, your words are encouraging. I am glad it has worked out well for you.