Applying for job with examiner....before viva..

Z

Hi everyone,

I'm approaching my submission date on the 30th (woo!) and so I've been taking a look round at several job opportunities. I'm thinking of applying for one post which would be fan-tast-tic as my PhD topic fits so well with the project. Ironically, the deadline for applications is also my submission date.
There is one problem....my examiner is the lead researcher recruiting for the post.
I'm aware of the rules surrounding contact with your examiner before your viva but this seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. If I apply for the post and they don't like my research, my viva could be a nightmare. On the other hand, if I apply and get the job then my viva could be with my boss.

What would you do??

:$

W

As the application deadline is the same day as the viva then make sure that your application goes in at the last minute on that day (get somebody to email it in for you just before the cut off time if you're still in the viva) - that way you are keeping your options open either way and there should be no issues about contacting the examiner beforehand.
That's my advice anyway! Good luck with the viva!!

H

I'd apply but I'd raise the issue with either your supervisor or someone in student admin so that they are aware. You can't pass up on the job opportunity but they might want to review the status of this person as your examiner, or at least set out some guidelines to ensure the viva process remains fair.