Applying for PhD

J

After the closing date for application for your PhD, how long is it usually until you hear something back?
Thanks

S

It can be quite a while dependant on the process and amount of applications -

Sometimes they state that if you don't hear back it means you haven't been selected - this may be due to a high volume of applicants

but I wouldn't hesitate to email or phone them to ask when you might expect a decision - its not unreasonable as long as you don't pester them daily

good luck

s

N

The application normally has to be reviewed by the department concerned and they often do this at weekly meetings. They have to then appoint a possible supervisor and second supervisor, and academics being academics, they may take a while to do this. Often if you have had contact with your potential supervisor, then ask for some feedback. I was verbally told before I applied and that made the process a lot less nerve jangling!! Worth the wait though - and remeber you are the client so be persistant!!

M

As far as I am aware it will take longer if you have also applied for funding within the department/waiting on funding (not sure about outside funding bodies). I think deadlines are normally April or Mayish?
Possible supervisers may want to see you before they make their decision. I found that it was a quicker process if you first approach any supervisor you think would be suitable and then apply. Another thing which may take a while is the whole thing going through the actual admissions department of the university - they tend to be the place your application slows down in - in my experience!

J

So from your experiences are we talking weeks or months?
Thanks

M

For me about 3 months but I had issues with the admissions department, should have been weeks.

S

my experience 3 months for one through a research centre 3-4 weeks for the rest through universities

still wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask when you should expect a decision?