Applying for studentship-how to write research proposal

T

Hello,

I am currently applying for a studentship at KCL.
I have a question regarding the application.
I am applying via the online application form which has a section for the research proposal. According to the form all research applicants have to submit a detailed research proposal. My question is, how exactly do you go about writing the proposal when the project has already been maped out. I feel like I am just repeating all the information I have been given!
Has anyone else had to do something similar?

Thank you for your help!

T

I'm in a similar situation. Basically I just wrote the project proposal in my own words. I would avoid repeating the info you've been given word-for-word, as this might be construed as lazy. And if you put the effort into writing your own research proposal you will have a more thorough knowledge of the field anyway! You might even come up with some different ideas/approaches. It's a bit time consuming but it'll be worth it later on, especially if you end up having to submit research proposals for other studentships.

M

Talk to someone in the department - your potential supervisor, maybe, or the admissions tutor. There's no reason you should have to guess what they're looking for from you; they may even agree to look at a draft and help you to get it as strong as possible. (I got some very useful input from my dept. on my Case for Support.)

I really think a lot of people miss out because they're afraid to ask 'stupid' questions - it's the same story in the seminar room. My advice would always be to just ask! People are usually happy to help and it could make all the difference. I've had quite a dialogue with several people at the dept. I applied to (everything from: is there any 'flab' I could cut in this draft? and, is this specific wording better? to, should I include a 'personal statement'?) - and I ended up being offered this year's departmental studentship.

Obviously you need to be careful not to impose on people - you need to sound them out before you start making assumptions about them having time to read drafts etc. - but certainly don't assume you're on your own.

F

Magictime has given the best option there is. You can't just apply to a university before checking with a potential supervisor or director of postgrad research. In most cases, professors respond and give their opinions.

E

======= Date Modified 16 May 2009 14:31:46 =======
I agree with magic.

You can also find out much about your future relationship with a potential superviser through what assistance they offer now.