Applying for Studentships

N

Hi all,

I am considering doing a PhD and am just curious about Studentships.

Is it acceptable/allowed to apply for two studentships, one from a Research body (i.e. ESRC) and one from the University - thus having the potential of receiving two grants? Is this allowed or is it strictly, one grant per student?

Thanks!

T

you would get one studentship only therefore only one grant.. But there is nothing wrong with applying for more than one studentship.. I applied for quite a few when I was looking to start a PhD..

B

Actually, I do know of a student who received an ESRC studentship through the open competition and a studentship from the university for one year which was only a little less than the maintenance grant from the ESRC. Seems ridiculous I know, but the end result was a maintenance grant over £20,000 a year.

B

At our place you can apply for whatever you like. But if you are successful in the uni scholarship and then get an external one, you then give up the uni one.

C

At my Uni it's a must. You must apply to AHRC or whatever other external possible source of funding if you want to apply to the University/ school bursaries. Then,if you get AHRC and University funding you must give up one of the two as far as I know. But I don't know anyone who as been so lucky!