Approached for an interview/chat and now being fobbed off

P

I applied for a part-time seasonal job at a local heritage site for just a few hours a week. I got a phone call while on holiday saying the director wanted to have a chat with me to see if I could help with another position they had and could I come in. I explained I was on hols and that I had told them that in my application. She said she would contact me when I got back to re-arrange. I waited three days when I got back and called them. She said she would speak to the director and call me back. No phone call! I waited another two days and called again and apologised for being impatient but my e-mail wasn't working (that's a whole other problem) and I was also holding back on another job offer until I knew what was on offer at the heritage site. She said she had my application in front of her and would speak to the director. That was Friday and I've still not heard back. If I was chasing them over an actual job I'd applied for I could maybe understand the fobbing off but could they not just say 'you have been unsuccessful'. It's the fact that they approached me and now seem to be fobbing me off. I wish they would just be honest about the situation. I didn't ask them to contact me in the first place. I'm going to a one-day conference there on Thursday so if I haven't heard anything should I approach the director and what should I say. It's historically my period and across the road from where I live otherwise I might just give up but it's my ideal place to work.

C

======= Date Modified 07 Jun 2011 12:42:33 =======
Yes, I think you should bring it up over coffee or something at the conference. Nothing to lose really...

A

I agree bring it up at the conference as it's the natural opportunity to do so. Actually not to bring it up might be perceived as lack of interest on your part so I think you need to bring it up at conference.

Good luck - hate these awkward scenarios myself and waste a lot of time second guessing myself as to what to do about things. Possibly more a female trait than male??