Approaching a potential supervisor

D

When approaching a potential supervisor for the first time, are you expected to have a 'lifelong, burning passion' for the topic, or is it okay to be 'just interested'? I am interested in a couple areas, but don't want to come across as fickle or not really serious about my studies. Any advice would be appreciated.

P

Hi There!!!
While it is great to have a lifelong burning passion for the subject u will be doing- Its is gud to be interested in the subject of choice...Interested enough to pursue it for 3 maybe four years, interested enough to read a lot of research papers on it.....Sometimes when u take a subject that u are 'interested' in, after reading more on the topic, usually the interest builds up and turns into passion...So look for sumthin that u r interested in....
Hope u make the right choice!!!
Gud luck!!(up)

P

Hi, I think its different for different supervisors as well...some wont take a student in a particular year because they are so rushed off their feet with so much research and existing students, UNLESS, its a fantastic student. In such cases, if you really look up to this academic, you must put your best foot forward, and if you really one of his/her brightest and most intelligent in years, you are accepted.

Talking of more common situations though, check out the person's work, not just current work but trajectory of work, what have been their interests, then and now, what connects the then and now, what runs through their work. First question, does this trajctory inspire you? Does this area of work seem like your interest area? Then touch base with this academic with very specific questions, comments, whether she is taking in new people or not, whetehr she is interested in these topics for supervision or not...its best if you meet the academic, because you also need to know if u gel wel..

contacting by email sounds good, worked with me, for 7 schools for my pHD applications, though I chose the one where I did my MSc, and had the least funding...you can imagine therefore how much i meant for me to be able to work with the scholar I am working with :) good luck!

R

A happy medium might be better - enthusiasm for your research topic is more likely to appeal to a potential supervisor than being 'just interested'. The 'lifelong passion' may or may not come later. If you're not really that curious about what you're researching, you are less likely to sustain the motivation to see it through to completion. A keen student looks a better bet to see it through to the end, rather than someone who doesn't sound bothered one way or the other at the very beginning.

Also think about why they might want to supervise you - why they are the ideal person for your proposal and not someone else in that field, and why it would be interesting to them to be involved with your research. Unless they're being pressured to take on new students, they need good reasons to take you on, rather than to swell the student numbers or just because you want them to.

A

@PhdBug. You applied to seven unis for PhD? I'm just boggling at the dedication involved in filling out all those bloody forms...

@Dancingintherain. Definitely lean on the side of 'just interested'. Show where your proposal has come from out of your previous research, but you look a bit creepy if you start your email with "Since the age of five, standing on Hadrian's Wall, I knew I would be an archeologist..." There's a difference, too, between expressing your interest in the subject by showing an awareness of the context for your proposal and recent developments in your field, and just saying how much you love paleography and or are excited by PCR or something.

P

@alicepalace: The forms werent a big deal actually, you know, but the so many different essays I wrote for so many different advisor interests. Ultimately though, I entered with the person of my choice without even submitting a proposal. She just took me in at a meeting where we discussing a book LOL.

D

Thanks for all the replies. They have been really helpful.