Are all your chapters interesting?

J

hello everyone,

hope everyone is doing well. am well... in the final stages of writing.

am wondering are your chapters all interesting? my case studies (2 of the 7 chapters) are really boring as all they do is describe and then do my discussion in a separate chapter. is this normal? i have tried bringing them to life but this seems impossible without getting too analytical.

any tips?

J

obviously that is meant to be .. i then do my discussion..

have you tried lots of nice quotes, if it is that kind of study? Tbh, I think my whole entire thesis will be dull, but that's another story!

N

shove a couple of pictures in there....that'll do the trick ;-);-);-)

I wish you could submit an 'interactive' thesis - as I keep on thinking how am I going to make the progression of my thematic analysis clear, and what I really need is a nice youtube video on one of the pages, which I think, should be entirely acceptable in this modern age. Just a shame you can't hand it in on a laptop/amazon kindle or something.

J

Nichola and Sneaks - thanks for the ideas! they're brilliant!!!

i will start looking for quotes and pictures. probably some clever graphs to break the monotony.. sigh. thanks.(up)(up)

my supervisor uses famous quotes in her writing a lot e.g. aristotle and stuff, but I think I might include some more modern ones in mine - so it doesn't necessarily have to be quotes from participants. I was thinking of Homer Simpson and Barak Obama

J

hmmm.. where do you get some funky quotes? are there any websites?

I usually just search in google the word I am wanting a quote about and then 'quote' e.g. christmas tree quotes and you get lots of sites come up.

J

good idea. will do that tonight. :-) you've given me something to look forward to.

S

Thanks Nichola, I needed a laugh!! :-)

At the risk of sounding terribly boring and serious, my chapters also focus on case studies, and my sup has said to bring them to life by telling them 'as a story'. Find the hook, the big main theme/finding, then start off with this as a teaser in the intro then build up the evidence to the final exciting conclusion! In reality, the chapters are still really linear and descriptive, but am trying to make them interesting. I also include some analysis as I'm going, relating what I'm finding back to the literature, then the discussion chapter will do this to summarise the whole thing. This might not be applicable to your work tho.

OK, back to today's exciting story!

J

i will definitely give the story thing a go. it could be what will revive both me and this work.. i have put in two quotes so far.. :-) ... tomorrow with be spend looking for that ground breaking story! still looking for that elusive graph.