Argh - never ending wait to hear outcome of PhD interview!

B

:(
So annoying, it's driving me crazy. I applied for a PhD I really wanted - as outlined previously - performed what I thought was a terrible interview... got feedback on it to say that I was one of the strongest candidates, but in fact third in line for the PhD.
There were two definite PhDs up for grabs and one possible extra, to be funded by the NHS. The guy said he's get back to me two weeks ago to let me know the outome, when by a week and a half ago I still hadn't heard, I emailed him - he said things were unclear but he would call me in a few days. he did - last Tues... said that I had got the third PhD slot but lots of funding has been pulled recently so the funding is precarious at the moment. Said he'd let me know by the latest of tomorrow - then emailed just now to say he still didn't know if we'd got the funding and was about to go away for two weeks so now I won't hear till the end of June. Meanwhile I am sooo on edge! Really want this! I can't concentrate on much else at the moment! Strategies to help me get on with the rest of my life till I know??

Thanks!

H

Hello!

I know how you feel. I have to wait until mid July to hear back about funding. Winning a place has been easy for me, thankfully, although I need funding to do the PhD, so it seems as if getting a place is an anti-climax! I applied back in March, and have been waiting ever since. Sigh.

All I can offer you by way of advice is, when you find your thoughts drifting down the what if trail, try to put it in perspective. Lots of great researchers didn't just fall into funding or a place at a certain institution, but had to work through their dissapointment to succeed. There is nothing productive that can come out of the wondering and waiting, so try to get on with other work, and do the best you can unil the day you will know. In your lifetime these weeks will be very little time spent waiting.

I daren't hope for the best because I feel like I want it too much. It's all just overwhelming.

good luck :-)

B

Thanks for reply Helena - very best of luck for yours.
I can related to the what if thoughts. Feel like my future is very uncertain at the moment. Just broke up with someone too so am currently thinking of whether to live alone or with others once I move. That and not knowing about the PhD makes me feel really unsettled!
Shousl hear something from the supervisor next week, he has been away, but I now suspect that it will be after the budget that I know - so end of June maybe. So annoying, really want it, will be massively disappointed if I don't, but it is entirely out of my - and the uni's - hands :-(

B

======= Date Modified 20 Jun 2010 13:36:21 =======
double post - why always a double post!!

S

======= Date Modified 20 Jun 2010 14:01:23 =======
It sounds like a nightmare for you, I so clearly remember the uncertainty and worry and I had to wait until the end of August to hear about mine not knowing if I'd start the PhD in the Oct and still writing the MA dissertation for submission in Sept at the same time. I didn't get full funding but got enough to get my fees paid and a 'very' small bursary. You do get through though, many of us don't have full funding, it must be wonderful to have but try and sort out a plan B just incase and also try to relax. You have personal stuff as well as the PhD to worry about, you can do nothing about the PhD so put it to one side if possible for now. As has already been said these weeks will seem like nothing further down the line, its awful waiting and not knowing. Have you investigated other areas of funding that might be open if you get the PhD place but not the money? As I said, I actually have 2 scholarships that combine to pay me a little bit, I also have a p/t dept job that helps pay the bills - life would have been easier the other way but its possible.

B

thanks for reply :)
good advice. there is nothing i can do so should try not to worry too much.

in all honesty, if they can't find other sources of funding my plan b will be to carry on as i am for now - doing masters number 2 part-time at the moment - and just keep a beady eye out for studentships that come up in the future... whilst i really want this one, i really do need to be taking home 15k per year otherwise my life gets a bit miserable. i know and admire people that do it without full funding but i have scrimnped and saved for so many years now i do feel now that i want a bit of financial security that with (a flatmate to share bills etc with plus) a full studentship, i think i would get nicely. well done you though! must be hard at times. how much do you take home in total a year then at the moment?

H

I'm still waiting to hear whilst writing my dissertation and breaking up with my boyf (of 3 years). I have nowhere to go, not sure if I'll get the funding, and it's just... horrible. I certainly won't miss these weeks when this is over :(

D

Most of us have been through this valley of desperation. I couldn't make any future plans which resulted to major insecurity and frustration. I copped with temporary jobs and tried to publish something.
Good luck to everyone.

B

Quote From helena_h:

I'm still waiting to hear whilst writing my dissertation and breaking up with my boyf (of 3 years). I have nowhere to go, not sure if I'll get the funding, and it's just... horrible. I certainly won't miss these weeks when this is over :(

ditto, helena! on all counts! :( best to you.

H

Thanks Blair, and to you (7 days to wait for me...)

S

Wow, I thought I was the only one going through this. My friend heard about his acceptance about 5 days after he applied, but I had all my documents in by Feb 15 and still have no official acceptance. Fortunately I did receive an unofficial acceptance by email last week, but the grad secretary is on holidays now until July 12th and I won't receive any paperwork until after that. I felt like I was 'on hold' for the last few months, and was having trouble making any sort of plans for the future as I had no idea where I'd be. It is rough on the nerves all right.

B

======= Date Modified 22 Jul 2010 11:55:33 =======
I still have not heard. I had the interview mid-May & they said I would know within a week, which then became two, which then became a month - the last was 'the end of June' but I have not been able to speak to the prof. since mid June. I do wonder at what point do I give up - and what can I do? I have rung the guy once a week for the last four weeks and his sec says she'll get him to call me but he doesn't. He didn't reply to my last email.

The problem is that it is funded by the NHS and I don't think they will know what they are doing budget wise until October now. But my current job finishes at the end of October and so to have something lined up for Nov 1st I will need to start looking for work in August really.
So if I don't hear about the PhD by the end of Aug I will need to start thinking of something else. And then what if in Oct they say I can do it? Or in November, once I have started a new job. It's a nightmare as I don't really feel in the mood to throwing myself in to new adventures/new job applications and getting passionate about them whilst I am in limbo waiting to hear about the one thing I really want.

It's horrible! :(

PS - I forgot to ask advice - for those that have been in this sitch - a 2-3 month wait or more - how to handle it? Should i continue to chase the professor (I just want an update really) or just leave him till he gets in touch with me - I only ring once a week at the most & haven't emailed in about a month, but will I start to annoy him? Seems odd that they don't get back to you to update you though - this would not happen in an office! haha.

B

agh - have meeting with super. this morn. haven't seen him since my interview in april! still have not had written confirmation of the funding yet - but fingers crossed for soon! but they have verbally agreed.
how much will i be expected to know in this initial meeting do you think? so nervous!