argh!!!!! (walking down upper brook street at 4.30 am with a mug of green tea on the way to Manchester computing)

C

ARGH!
I went to bed at 1.30 am and woke up at 4.30 am to finish a plan for my literature review for my supervisor today. But he is off sick! So I needn't look like a zombie today! Argh! Oh well, I guess as a responsible and mature PhD student I would have done it even if he wasn't going to look at it. Honest. ;-)

M

Is that your second year?

C

nope, first year - two months in. Why?

W

4.30 am sounds like you have nasty supervisor....ive just emailed mine first section but am now well into 2nd it amazing what panic will do eh!!
Im at manchester to!! Will keep an eye out for exhausted looking postgrads clutching cups of green tea!! Im off to do yet more reading so that when supervisor asks difficult questions can look like I almost know what im on about (although I strongly susspect I will never know!!)

C

Wow! Another Manchester student....there's at least three on here now!

What school are you in?

Yeah, after a sleep on the living room floor -grabbing a randon quilt stored on an armchair, I feel pleasantly refreshed. I have four weeks left to write my lit review.

And, my sup is lovely.....just has high standards I want to meet! Off to do more readng too...I totally know what you mean by needing to read a lot to look like you know a little - this is me in every supervision!

Y

I'm in manchester as well. Sounds like your supervisor is very organised in what he wants from you. I'm still trying to find my feet even after being an undergrad in my department.

J

walking down upper brook street at 4.30am??????

if that's what it takes, will Jojo ever graduate ^;^.

C

Yes, my sup's are hyper organised!!!

JoJo, don't be fooled by the Upper Brook Street trek - remember an organised student who worked properly would not need to do this!

I am woefully lazy and poorly organised!

J

still hardworking enough to be walking at that hour

W

Hey!!

Im in the Medical School Dept Epidemology an health sciences!!
What about you...my supervisor is a bit more hands off......which frankly disturbs me a lot dont reallly sure where im going yet with my project, but emailed her 1st section of lit review yesterday an she said its OK so thats good!

I have 4 weeks to finish mine too....or at least thats what I tell myself...cause want it all wrapped up before xmas really!

Yeah i have to aggree with the finding your feet thing as first month was deadly as had loads of bitty things to do before I could get started an now I have to attend loads of seminars an training lectures as well as trying to write its a flippin nightmare!

W

Hey U still there Chrisrolinski??

Or have you fallen foul of a double decker on upper brook st?? Or just found the xmas market an found that mulled wine is so much better than green tea and been boozing you days away?

C

hej! No...I got lost in the shadow of that ghastly inflatable Father Christmas that sits astride the town hall!

How is the lit review going? Mine is okay at the mo'..had a really good supervision yesterday - very confidence building!

I am a humanities student shared between departments within the School of Biological Sciences and Arts, Histories and Cultures...

W

Hmmm yes im suprised sant hasent been giving the children of manchester nightmares he certainly freaks me out....but then they are prpbably all much 'harder' than me!

Lit rev not going so well had to drop everything in order to do a poster that I did not know about, the draft was in today but not got to present till 14th Jan arghhhhh!!

Oh well back to the lit rev! Whats your PhD on sound like youre covering a lot of bases?

P

Hi, I was shortlisted for an interview for a 2007 Strategic PhD studentship in the Manchester Medical School. The supervisers really want me there, they asked the committee to shortlist me, so their support is very high. I should attend an interview this week, but I'm not from the UK, so they told me that they might be able to postpone this interview until early January. Do you know how important this interview is? How will it be like? Maybe you Manchester guys can help me with some advice, please. Thanks.

W

Hi Phyc student!

Im in the School of Medicine, Im not 100% on this but I think an interview in some form is compuslsory. Where are you from outside the UK? I think that if you are from within europe then they will expect you to come for an interview if youre from further affield then they might let you do a webcam interview. You will really have to discuss it with them but I think they like to meet people in the flesh! and remember they will be offering to pay for your PhD so if you are reluctant to come over then they may decide not to consider you!