Arrogant journal editors

D

I find the behaviour of some journal editors quite unacceptable. They seem to believe that the normal niceties are beneath them, as if the power they have has gone to their head. Has anyone else had bad experiences from editors?

Oh yes! LOL. I remember a couple of years ago I submitted a paper to journal which was liked and recommended for publication by both of the peer reviewers, just for the editor to turn round and say he's not accepting it anyway because he feels it "reads like it's written by an A-level student and offers nothing of value to the journal" - almost fell of my chair after reading that! (I was very annoyed though at the 9 months from submission to receiving that email - complete waste of time and he shouldn't have sent it out for peer review in the first place if he didn't like it). Suffice to say I got it published in a much higher impact journal with only minor revisions at the next attempt. I guess some of the editors have an axe to grind, so even thought it's unprofessional and often disrespectful try not to take it personally ;)

D

Wow, not had anything quite so strange as that. Just going to forget this particular journal. Hear some horror stories about editors plagiarising articles they've rejected etc - seems to be very little oversight of them TBH.