Article Request from Mary Ann Liebert

E

Title : Antidepressant Activity of Quercetin, a Bioflavonoid, in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Mice
Authors : Muragundla Anjaneyulu, Kanwaljit Chopra, and Indupal Kaur
Journal : Journal of Medicinal Food
Publication Date : 2004
Citation : Anjaneyulu M, Chopra K, Kaur I. Antidepressant activity of quercetin, a bioflavonoid, in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. J Med Food. 2003;6(4):391-5.
Direct Link : "http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/109662003772519976"
Abstract :
Depression is highly prevalent in diabetics and is associated with poor glucose regulation and increased risk of diabetic complications. Identification and effective treatment of comorbid depression are increasingly being considered essential components of clinical care of diabetics. In the present study, the antidepressant activity of quercetin (50 and 100 mg/kg, i.p.), a bioflavonoid, was evaluated using the Porsolt forced swimming-induced behavioral despair test in control and 6-week-streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. The effect of quercetin was compared with that of the classical antidepressants fluoxetine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) and imipramine (15 mg/kg, i.p.). Streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice exhibited prolonged immobility duration during the test as compared with age-matched control mice. Quercetin dose-dependently reduced the immobility period in diabetic mice, and this effect was comparable to that of fluoxetine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) and imipramine (15 mg/kg, i.p.). Fluoxetine and imipramine significantly lowered the immobility time in naive mice also, but quercetin failed to induce any antidepressant activity in naive mice. The results of our preliminary study indicate that quercetin has the potential to be employed as a therapy for depression associated with diabetes.

C

no access...sorry

J

Let me know your email if you still need it!

E

My deepest thanks to you...