AUGH!!!! Big mistake:(

E

AUUUGHGHHHHHH! That's it I'm going to have a nervous breakdown! I have had the worst year ever and I'm still trying to trot along with the PhD as I am really busy in 2nd year now, I wont even bother to say how bad a year it has been. But I'm trying to catch up with a massive workload and just after getting up at 7 on a sat morning only to find I have left out all of my reageants and they need to be frozen so I have just wasted thousands of pounds probably, I'm just so upset and I don't know what to do:(

N

stay calm, email your supervisor and wait and see what happens. theres nothing you can do right now. It will be ok in the end.

S

oh my. I don't know what reagents you are using but not to worry, sometimes the reagents may stil be able to work!!!
We used to prepare PCR and RT-PCR without using any ice! And they always worked.

If you need to use more reagents, it would be a good idea to see if you can "borrow" some from your lab-mates or from the other labs! Someone will be able to help.

satchi

T

Emmie, I'd echo what satchi said, a lot of these reagents are more robust than their label says, it may be worth contacing tech support of the manufacturer and asking their advice. Alternatively, can you just perform a test run to see how they're working?

Aside from that, I don't know a lab scientists alive who hasn't done this. I know that doesn't change things but it does mean that you shouldn't beat yourself up over it, we've all been there. *hugs*

S

That's sucks, lab work sucks. I have a habit of putting things into my lab coat pockets, forgetting about them for 3 weeks, discover that they should have been kept in the fridge, and 9 times out of 10 they are absolutely fine. The moral of the story? odds are, it'll be fine. You're not the first person to make a mistake like this, and you won't be the last. It doesn't mean you're rubbish in the slightest.

The most difficult part of lab work isn't the intellectual challenge, the time managment challenge, or even the workload. It's the emotional side of things that is so very tough. Contending with failure day in day out, feeling like a fraud, cocking up, it all takes it's toll.

I'm know you'll figure out what to do to fix your problems. Whatever you do, don't be a coward and avoid going into the lab.

E

Hey everyone, I'm still alive! lol, thanks a million for the responses, made me feel much better:-) I've been running experiments to see if they work and told my supervisor about it and hes been great! I know at the end of the day mistakes are made and you just have to move on, I suppose that's just the territory with wet lab work, it still sucks though!! I felt so relieved after chatting with supervisor instead of hiding away, phew!

S

(up)