Average hours per week contact hours for lecturers?

G

Hi,
This questions is for PhD'ers out there who have a lecturing position as well (whether you're still doing your PhD or if you've just completed).

How many hours per week in the average lecturing position do you actually spend lecturing and/or teaching seminars? Does it vary widely from job to job? I guess one factor is how much research you're also expected to do within your position?

I'm a PhD student who does quite a lot of seminar teaching per week, which has increased significantly in the past year. It's really getting me down having to do so much teaching, and I'm starting to reconsider what sort of position I will be in if I take on a lecturers job when (or 'if' I should say!!) I've completed my PhD.
:-(

S

Is your lecturing job in the same place that you are doing your PhD??? If so there are clear Hefce and UCU guidelines on what your dept can reasonably ask you to do. If you have *chosen* to take on a lectureship at different institution whilst still completing your PhD (if for example you didn't get funding, or your funding ran out) the average attitude would be 'tough, you are lucky to get a lectureship, many don't. If you are finding it difficult, take an interruption of study - many people who try to juggle the two have to'

Z

If youre doing your PhD at the same institution, should only be doing a max of 6 hours per week contact time - if its elsewhere, then i agree its a little more tricky as contact hours varies between institutions - probably anything between 4 and 20....how many hours are you teaching?