Awarded studentship, have to accept soon, but still waiting for other decisions

S

Hi everyone,
I would appreciate insight into my issue with PhD funding .
I have been lucky enough to be awarded a research council studentship for my studies at University 1. however, I am still in the process of receiving a decision about University 2. University 1 want me to sign a contract soon to accept the studentship, and I am concerned that if I receive an offer from University 2, then I will be tied in wifh University 1.

Does anyone have any experience with receiving and accepting a funding offer from somewhere else after officially accepting the first? if I don’t sign the 1st University contract I will lose the studentship. What would be the legal consequences for dropping out? They are different research councils.

Thank you for your help
Sarah

T

Hi, SarahT5,

I take it that you are interested in University 2 and not University 1? You can take the risk of rejecting University 1 and waiting on University 2, knowing full well there is a chance you may walk away with nothing. Or you could sign a contract with University 1 and forget about University 2.

I disagree with signing with intention of breaking contract with University 1 when something better comes along as it reflects very poorly on the person's character. In addition, researchers do talk to one another as it is a very small world. Regarding the legal consequences, you will have to thoroughly read the contract to find out.

S

Quote From tru:
Hi, SarahT5,

I take it that you are interested in University 2 and not University 1? You can take the risk of rejecting University 1 and waiting on University 2, knowing full well there is a chance you may walk away with nothing. Or you could sign a contract with University 1 and forget about University 2.

I disagree with signing with intention of breaking contract with University 1 when something better comes along as it reflects very poorly on the person's character. In addition, researchers do talk to one another as it is a very small world. Regarding the legal consequences, you will have to thoroughly read the contract to find out.

Thanks for your reply. I definitely worry about damaging my career before I have even started the PhD, however university 2 is one of the top universities in the world (university 1 is not bad but they are not on the same level). Also there is nothing about withdrawing before beginning the studentship in the contract i have recieved:(

C

I would contact both universities and explain what's going on. You don't need to go into details. But I'd first contact University 2 and find out if they can tell you when you would know by, say you have another offer but you'd like to hear from them first and can they give you a time frame.

Depending on what you get from Uni 2 you can ask Uni 1 when you need to let them know by (if they've given you a date, can that be extended). Ideally Uni 2 will have given you a rough date and you can be upfront with Uni 1 that you won't know before X time.

Please don't pick your uni just based on their reputation, you should choose based on which topic you're interested in, relationship with the supervisor etc.