Back!

P

======= Date Modified 03 14 2009 22:14:04 =======
Hi y'all :-)

Just to say am back, conference done. Hand rested, much, much better. The conference went off well I think. I was nervous to be the only student in a room of scholars, spoke at my usual supersonic speed which only I can understand (!) but on the plus side, people came up and said great things, asked for the paper and actually sought me out later to say pretty nice stuff :-)

My sup was in the audience (which was scary) and she said 'it has been a triumph, in all, a great communicative moment!'

The flip side: everyone agreed I spoek too fast for people to grasp stuff. That I was operating at a level that was slightly difficult to get for non niche people (but I am just 10 months in)....

It was scary yes, to speak in a set of 11 speakers where everyone else was a scholar, including one who started his work when my mum was 5 years old. Well, he walked up after lunch and asked for my slides (even if he did it out of politeness, I was overwhelmed!)

Some experience, I tell you. Oh dear....

S

Well done! (up) (up) (up) keep up the good work. nice to hear that your arm is better also.:-)

W

Well done Phdbug. Sounds like things are going very well indeed for you. You certainly deserve it with all your hard work though.

P

======= Date Modified 04 Sep 2009 09:51:15 =======
thank you:-)

Well done bug! Sounds like you aced it - I expect the speaker really did want your slides (although watch it in case there is suddenly a publication out by him in a few months using your ideas!).

Have you thought about doing your presentations to undergrads before you go - so you can ensure that non-niche people will understand. As I am from a music background I find that a metronome can help you slow down your talking speed - just have it ticking in the background to remind you to go slower.

S

Huge congratulations Bug :-) That must have been so nervewracking but so good to do! I'm delighted you got such good feedback and I too tend to talk to fast, just remember to talk so that you sound almost too slow to yourself and that is around the right speed :-)

R

That all sounds really good, Bug! You should be really pleased with yourself as all your work seems to be paying off (not that I'd expect any different!). I'm glad you're feeling better too, though keep an eye on that hand (in a manner of speaking!).

M

Congratulations - good to hear it went so well. Good to hear your hand's better too. Don't overdo it though!

R

Good show Bug!

If you speak very fast try counting 1,2,3 after a sentence, new sentence 1,2,3. Makes you slow down and relax.

Have a nice weekend.;:-)

P

Thanks all!

@Sneaks: thanks, although doubt that's going to happen as this was a very close knit, scholarly group of all known faces of sup and I'm sending the piece in to a journal very (very) soon (actually the theory bits of it is already with a journal)

PS: Didnt tell you guys but am moving to a really nice room... its still a Hall of residence but with a piano and a garden and bang where I wanted it to be, 3 mins walk from my uni and in the middle of theatres, parks and what not!!!! That's just ten more days living in the crime ridden area where I live now :-)