Basic Masters question

B

Hi, this really is basic and I should probably know, but.... what's the pass mark for a MSc? I understand how an undergrad scoring system works, but what about a Masters. Is that simply a pass or fail?

Many thanks - Mark

M

I'm basing this on my MA experience, but I think it's the same sort of picture for MScs:

Usually it's distinction, pass or fail - with distinction being comparable to an undergraduate 1st and pass being comparable to a 2:2. Sometimes there's a "merit" classification too, for people who do very well but miss out on the distinction - i.e. "high 2:1" type candidates.

Look carefully at the criteria for each classification on your course, as they can vary widely. For instance, you might need to get, say, 70+ overall to get a distinction, or you might just need to get 70+ on your dissertation or some specified proportion of modules and achieve some minimum standard on the rest.

B

Excellent, thanks for the reply Magictime. It does make sense to have different grades, it's just not something I hear people mention, hence the question. People tend to make a point of saying they have a 1st or honours with an undergrad, but simply say a 'Masters' for above. Maybe they don't have a distinction!!

Thanks - Bono