BBSRC have you been paid this

S

Hi - does anyone else have a BBSRC stuudentship? If so,have you been paid yet this month? Normally they've been really good at getting my payments to me but I don't seem to have received one this month and i think I should be due one on the 1st October....fingers crossed it'll go in in the next couple of days!

R

I have mine. I would guess that it is the university finance division that is holding it up. Mine is a check from the uni, not the BBSRC. I think the BBSRC gives them the money and then they forward it to us. Maybe with all the new students coming in, and the start of the new year, they are bogged down and a little delayed.

S

Thanks guys. The past payments I've had have come straight from the BBSRC - it doesn't go via the Uni. Hopefully they are just bogged down with new students....

R

I beleive that check is the American version of cheque. The free dictionary states as one meaning of check "A written order to a bank to pay the amount specified from funds on deposit; a draft.". Try typing it into a dictionary or something. Im not American, but as im dysleixc I tend to spell things as they sound (which is generally how the Americans spell). However, I do not beleive I was incorrect in the use of the word check in that context, no more than if I had writen color instead of colour (esp on a forum where you have no idea if im American or not).

R

Its ok. You didnt really cause offense. I just dont like to be wrong . I worry people are trying to make me look stupid through my inability to spell. There have been some people on here who try to imply that if you cant spell or write grammer properly you are stupid and they are far superior to you (as if it is some measure of intellegence). More like snobbery. Im probably therefore just oversensitive.

W

Interesting richmond im Dyslexic too ( why oh why did they call it that have to think everytime I type couldnt they just call it BOB??) Anyway just wondering have your uni offered you any extra support an are there any other dyslexic PhD students out there???

R

Yes, I was offered support. I got a letter from the special needs unit saying if I needed any help I could go and see them. Though I must admit I havent done that yet, but it is nice to have the offer. They also suggested applying for special needs bursary from the council (they give you money to buy laptops and stuff). Again, I never bothered doing it (I could have got it as an undergrad too, but I didnt bother). Hmm, im to lazy to get free money and stuff. I well. You must have some sort of special needs unit. Was there anywhere on the application forms to declare it. Thats usually where they pick you up.

I have not met any other dyslexics (I agree, what a word to try and make us spell. BOB would have been better, though what it stands for (brain of britain I think haha)), or at least I cant remember meeting any of them.