Before starting...

O

Hi everybody,
been lurking this forum for quite a while now, and as I finally managed to secure an unconditional offer for a very nice (or at least I'm expecting it to be as such) PhD in the UK, also thanks to the wealth of advice I found here (no, I won't pay a single penny to any of you), I finally decided to write something...
Well, actually I need some suggestions too ;)...in particular, are there any organizational issues, besides the most obvious ones (accommodation, funding, etc.) that need to be considered before starting? And what are the most important things to be decided with your supervisor right when you start? Thanks...

OBM

F

First congrats.

Secondly, I would say loosely nailing down your research question will be the first order of business. From there its lit review for the rest of the year and researcher training courses in the first term. Expect your research question to evolve / mature as you do from reading that pile of literature. Your proposal and lit review should cap off year 1 along with an upgrade panel meeting (if your Uni has one)

Aside from that, I would say acclimating to the department, being super nice to the admin assistants (they get you the odd jobs / tutoring posts), doing all your orientation stuff, and attending whatever seems interesting that pops in your inbox. Create a Uni email addy, check it every day, get cards (eventually) quite handy when socializing, ummmm open a bank account in town if you dont have one ASAP, also get your Council Tax exemption letter from school and get yourself exempt with the local council.

Cant think of anything else right away....

Oh yes. Most importantly, have fun!