Beginning the Application Process

O

Hi everyone. I'm beginning to think about applying for a 2010 PhD. I've found a lot of useful advice on this forum so far and hope someone can answer a few specific questions - hopefully I'll be able to pass it on when I start my studies!

The situation: I Graduated in 2008 with a first in maths. Since then I've been travelling and temping, basically doing nothing to do with maths (apart from tutoring high-school pupils part-time).

The Plan: I'd like to do a PhD in computational number theory (CNT) at Edinburgh University.

The Question: Basically, I'm a bit confused/nervous about contacting a potential supervisor. I've identified a guy who I think might be suitable, and now I'm just wondering what the next step should be. Since I'm not applying for a pre-set topic, how specific do I have to be? Can I email him saying "I want to study CNT and thought you might like to supervise me - how about it?" and then take it from there, or should I have a specific title/question in mind?

I guess the main problem I can't get my head around is: how much am I supposed to know about the field so far? Obviously a PhD is about solving something that hasn't been done before. But surely you have to know EVERYTHING before you can even find out where the holes are? All I know is I want to research CNT, think I'd be good at it and would love someone to suggest a specific place for me to start.

Thanks for taking the time to read through that rambling....any help is much appreciated.

PS - forgot about these other questions:
1) Is my aimless (at least maths-wise) time out likely to look bad to funding bodies?
2) What time of year do people generally have everything (place, funding etc) 'sorted'? My PhD will involve moving cities, buying a new house - will I have to sort all that out between June an September? (Also, I want to do some more travelling before the start, so the sooner it's all sorted, the better!)

J

======= Date Modified 29 Sep 2009 12:28:09 =======
Dear Orainn,

You don't say if you have an MA / Msc or whatever it is called in maths, which I imagine would make a big difference to your situation.

As for time of year, as I understand it, deadlines for applications for funding are around April / May, and in this old thread re AHRC people are still waiting for responses in late August.
:-(
http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=10046

J

Hi, I did a maths degree too. I've only done a BSc but I also got a 1st. I'm about to start a PhD in Astrophysics, which might sound like a strange decision but the project is pretty mathematical. I'm at the University of Central Lancashire, I also did my undergrad degree here too, but I applied to other places.

When I was applying I went to open days to meet people and get an idea of the sort of projects they had available. It was also a good way to look around the departments at other uni's, going to some open days put me off applying for a couple of places I'd previously been keen on. Most uni's tend to make note of the area you are interested in researching before the open day and arrange for you to have a chat with anyone you're interested in working with.

I don't think a prospective supervisor expects you to know everything about the field you're going to study in up to the cutting edge, they are just looking for someone who has the skills to carry out the project they are going to supervise. Most of the application forms I filled in had a research proposal section but I was told to just put in my interests and any projects I'd done. Apparently these sections are more for Humanities/Literature based PhDs, so I was told.

To answer your other questions:
1) I don't think it will affect you, I've recently attended a summer school for new PhD students and one of the people I met there had just returned from a years travelling, he had secured funding and was moving to a different uni.

2) I applied quiet late, around January/February time I think. In the end I applied to Leeds and UCLan after being put off the others at open days. At UCLan the initial process was quite quick, I was interviewed within 3 weeks and told I'd find out soon. I didn't find out until mid May however that I had an offer from them. At the same time my Leeds application was in, I'd been in contact with them because I'd heard nothing and they said they were processing all the applications. Then 1 week after my UCLan offer I was offered an interview at Leeds. I turned the interview down though because at this point I was made up with my offer from UCLan. So the whole process can be quite lengthy, but, as I said, I did apply late

J

======= Date Modified 29 Sep 2009 16:34:48 =======

Quote From jk:

2) I applied quiet late, around January/February time I think.

Holy Moly is January considered late?? Anyway it seems that a response to your app to do the PhD comes first and then the response to any app for funding comes later.

J

well I was told it was considered late by my undergrad project supervisor but talking to people at the summer school I mentioned it seems about normal

O

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys - much appreciated :)

Juc, I don't have an MSc, just an undergraduate MA (four years, with honours). What difference do you think that would make to my situation - application-wise or funding-wise? I know I have the necessary qualifications for my chosen uni, so I didn't think that would be an issue (am I being really naive?)

Jk, I wanted to enter Astrophysics too, so it doesn't sound strange at all! Sadly I think my undergrad degree was far too pure for a straight switch, and to be honest most applied maths makes my head a bit numb :$
The open-day thing sounds good, but I'm pretty limited in my choice of uni. I basically have to live in/near Edinburgh so that leaves me with only a couple to choose from. Still, I'll try and visit all the contenders.
Can I ask if your applications were for specific projects that had funding attached? Or did you get your offer of a place in May, and then have to go through the whole funding process?

From my (limited) experience of Edinburgh Uni I'm pretty sure that's where I want to go, and going through the website I've identified someone I'd like to approach as a supervisor. Is it OK to just email a prof out of the blue and ask them if they have any areas they'd consider supporting a PhD in? Obviously I'm willing to put the work in to put together a good proposal, I just need somewhere to start!

Thanks again for your replies, and good luck in your studies :)

J

Quote From orainn:
Is it OK to just email a prof out of the blue and ask them if they have any areas they'd consider supporting a PhD in? Obviously I'm willing to put the work in to put together a good proposal, I just need somewhere to start!

IMHO it is perfectly ok to email the prof. I would just say I am working on a proposal in the subject area of x (and if possible relate it to your MA) and would you be interested in supervising this and if so can you give me any pointers? I think it would be crazy to spend a lot of time on a proposal without some input / green light from the intended supervisor, but how helpful we should expect them to be, I don't know.

In terms of qualifications it is of course easier to get accepted for PhD study than it is to get funding. I am not familiar with an undergraduate MA so I can't comment on that 8-)

J

My applications weren't for specific projects. At UCLan the way they run the application process is that you outline your interests and experience at undergrad/masters level and then if there is someone who has a project that might be of interest to you they introduce you at your interview. On my application forms there were always sections about how I intended to fund my PhD and I was always very clear that I intended to apply for funding. At UCLan this was done on my behalf and when I received my offer I was told funding was already in place with the STFC

O

Thanks, it's good to finally have that cleared up. I've now emailed the prof with my CV and research interests so now it's just a case of waiting to see if he gets back to me. I'm hoping to apply to the Carnegie trust or EPSRC for funding....feeling a bit daunted by the long road ahead of me!

Thanks again for you help :)

P.S. Juc, An undergrad MA is just a normal first degree. Some of the Scottish unis call their honours degrees that, don't ask me why. It's equivalent to a BSc, not a 'proper' masters!

J

Quote From orainn:

I've now emailed the prof with my CV and research interests so now it's just a case of waiting to see if he gets back to me.

Please let us know how it goes - I am interested to know how helpful we should expect the prof to be.

O

Quote From Juc:

Please let us know how it goes - I am interested to know how helpful we should expect the prof to be.

Sure, will keep you posted. I got a very nice email from him the day after I got in contact, saying he wanted to meet me soon. He's abroad at the moment but will get in touch with me next week to arrange something. I'm now very nervous but quite excited about setting the ball rolling!

J

Quote From orainn:

Thanks, it's good to finally have that cleared up. I've now emailed the prof with my CV and research interests so now it's just a case of waiting to see if he gets back to me. I'm hoping to apply to the Carnegie trust or EPSRC for funding....feeling a bit daunted by the long road ahead of me!

Thanks again for you help :)

Old school Uni huh? MAs in that fashion apply to Aberdeen, Glasgow, St Andrews and Edinburgh I think.

Good luck in your application (I am getting a kinda application to St Andrews and Liverpool - I've love to do an MPhil then convert)

P.S. Juc, An undergrad MA is just a normal first degree. Some of the Scottish unis call their honours degrees that, don't ask me why. It's equivalent to a BSc, not a 'proper' masters!