Being doing PhD for over 4 years

R

Has any one else out there been doing their PhD for more than 4 years and is registered full time?

If you have have you submitted?

Any tips on how to keep motivation up after being told to resubmit would be much appreciated.

Feel like the PhD has been dominating my life and my family's for so long now.

A

======= Date Modified 09 May 2009 02:15:23 =======
Hey Ruby,

I hope you are still there. I don't know if you had your viva or if your supervisor(s) asked you to resubmit before that stage? If you had a viva, do you have to have another viva, or just resubmit with corrections? If the latter, is your supervisor responsible for ensuring the changes are done?

I have been doing the PhD officially full time for a couple of years longer than you so I wouldn't worry too much (other than for your sanity/mental health, of course). I finally submitted late last year and passed my viva in March - 'PhD awarded subject to minor corrections' - and I'm still waiting for the report so that I know precisely what the corrections are. The viva board did appoint my own supervisor (who was not on the viva board) to be the person who ensures the final corrections are done. Then I'm finally out of here. But it is a long drawn-out process and I feel your pain when you talk about the PhD dominating your life. That is precisely how I feel every day and it is a burden and sometimes a suffocation.

I left the viva after they told me I had to go back and do minor corrections with the words of Nina Simone's 'I wish I knew how it would feel to be free' in my head. That was March. It's my anthem every day as I wait for these people to give me the final report. It's a very emotional time. If you know what has to be done, immerse yourself in it. Time will fly then. Work is definitely the best thing in this situation. You are so close now, so so close. Remind yourself of that every day. You've genuinely played a blinder to get this far considering the legions of PhD students who leave their course.

It's darkest before the dawn.

R

Thank you Aodhan,

It's really encouraging to get your mail and can empathise with what you express. I haven't got to have another viva just resubmit. This is OK I suppose but also takes away the opportunity to defend my resubmission which will just seem like a silent handing in when i get to that stage.

That's really great that all you have to do are minor corrections now, good luck you are nearly there.

Thanks for your support and wishes to keep on.

(up)

S

Just sort it out, resubmit and look forward to brighter days ahead.