Bench fees

S

======= Date Modified 06 13 2009 01:13:53 =======
Hi everyone, Im an Asian and has obtained a place to pursue my DPhil in Oxford in clinical pharmacology.. My sponsors are asking about the bench fees. anyone care to explain what is bench fees and how much does it cost? thank you very much....

M

Hi Sandra,

Bench fee means that you will be allocated your own office with a computer set up for you. That will usually cost up to £7000.

By the way, please tell me that your not paying £22000 a year for your degree?

S

======= Date Modified 06 May 2009 13:30:13 =======
Hi MH,

I think my scholarship covers the 22k international fees.. unfortunately it doesnt cover my bench fees.. is there any other ways that i can avoid paying the bench fees or pay the bench fees at a lower rate? thank you very much you have certainly gave me an idea of what the fees all about

S

wow you are very lucky. good luck

M

Hi Sandra,

No, there is no way you will be able to skip your bench fee. Have you sorted out your college fee? You know that it comes in addition to your bench and tuition fee?

I know because I applied to Oxford for my DPhil in clinical medicine and got those rates.

S

======= Date Modified 06 May 2009 23:51:05 =======
Dear MH,

My scholarship covers the tuition fees, as for the college fees, the sponsor gives us as living allowances. Its up to the student if they wish to stay in the college or maybe rent in an apt (or somewhere else besides the college). I am not very sure which would be a better option. I think i am given 1093 GBP per month. is it sufficient?

M

Hi,

Check with Oxford about college fee, it is my understanding that you had to pay college fee but I could be wrong. That is at least what was expected of me. £1093 for an apartment per month is a rip off, if it includes utility bills, living expenses that 'ok' I might ad.

Which country are your originally from?

R

I think Sandra may have meant that she will be getting £1096 a month as a stipend? That's marginally less than my monthly stipend and it covers my living expenses easily. I might add that I live in Edinburgh, rather than Oxford, still I would have thought that £1000 is enough to live on.

S

£1093 per month is sufficient if you live in a shared house; and split utility bills. But remember to bring more money when you first arrive, in case you need to put deposit for your accomodation or buy stuff. The first month is always hardest, I guess. For example, you might want to buy your own pots and pans, and your own duvet. These things may not be very expensive, but still, they add up to a lot.

S

Hi,
thanks guys for the information. I have just found out that Oxford does not incur bench fees separately, thus alll expenses are covered in the tuition fees. I am from Malaysia. The amount 1093 GBP is a stipend. After reading the replies, I gauge that college is a bit expensive for me. Any one care to advise the nearest and the safest area to rent an apt and the main priority would be, its within my budget.
;-)

M

Dear Sandra,

Your college fee will be £2000 a year, check with the university whether you have to pay it or not. I think you have to but check to be on the safe side:-)

S

MH,

Thank you very much for the thought. I will indeed check with the university before even start planning my budget. Thanks again!!