bit of a cheeky question about interviews/places

W

hi, this might seem a bit cheeky but in general, does getting an interview for a phd position mean you are almost in? I know different departments have different procedures but I'm just wondering what the standard ratio of interviews to places is? interviews seems to take up almost a whole day so surely they cant interview everyone that applies?

A

That's a "how long is a piece of string?" type of question :o) It's very variable, depends on the field (popularity of project), the group (everyone wants to work at prestigious institutions and with the top people), how well the post has been advertised, how much funding is on offer, time of year etc etc. Best bet is not to underestimate the extent of the opposition but to go prepared to show that you are the best of the bunch (however many that may be!). Good luck!

W

lol yeah I know it's a question that doesnt really have an answer, I'm just trying to think positively, trying to convince myself that i am the best of those who apply and then perhaps that will come across in the interview..... the truth is im very very nervous and somewhat lacking in confidence!

S

so 4 candiates for every one place, to put it simpler

S

no, just a logical time of month

B

I know that at the place I had an interview they were interviewing 20 people for 4 places, so 1 in 5 there but it is extremely variable.

G

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago and was really nervous about it, but it ended up being nothing like I expected. I was the only person being interviewed for the PhD, the interview panel were friendly and relaxed and the whole process seemed fairly informal (after the interview I ended up going to a nearby pub with the supervisor and the rest of his group for lunch and drinks!!). I was generally given the impression that I had already got the PhD due to my references and CV and that the interview was just to determine that my personality was suitable.

D

Our lab had over 40 applicants for one PhD position, 8 were interviewed.