Books on Focus Groups

R

Hi all,

my research proposal has been changed again. Instead of beginning with a a survey (with questionnaire) the first step will be using a focus group to assess what should be in the questionnaire.

I looked on Amazon for some books related to focus groups: they present:

Focus Groups: Practical Guide for Applied Research (Krueger, Casey) and
Focus Groups as Qualitative Research (Morgan).

Does anyone know these books and can indicate whether they are worth buying? Are there any other books people can recommend? Would value your views.

Kind regards,

Rick

P

Hi,
It depends on your area and what analysis you plan on doing, however, for my health services-related PhD I've found the following very useful:

Ritchie, J. & Lewis,J. (2004). Qualitative Research Practice (this is a really nice clear book, good for theory but quite a practice focus--I use it a lot)
Bryman, A. (2004). Social Research Methods
Hansen, E.C. (2006). Successful Qualitative Health Research.
Bowling,A. (2002). Research Methods in Health: Investigating health and health services.

In my early days I also found the "Qualitative research methods in health technology assessment: a review of the literature" monograph really interesting for background and theory on qualitative research, see http://www.hta.nhsweb.nhs.uk/execsumm/summ216.htm

P

ps if its purely a focus group specific 'how to' book, I think Krueger is well recognised as being the book to get!

R

Ha, thanks Pup,

this is useful. I am also in the medical field and know the Bowling book.

Thanks for letting me know.

D

There is also a focus group kit, volume 1-6 by Krueger and Morgan
http://www.amazon.com/Focus-Group-Kit-Volumes-1-6/dp/0761907602/ref=sr_1_2/102-9130518-5688124?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186103794&sr=8-2
I took a field school with Krueger on focus groups, and he is wonderful, his style of writing matches the clear way he speaks. I'm planning on doing them on my work as well. Good luck.

R

Ha, thanks Doc2008,

thanks for letting me know. Krueger seems to the person to go for!