Books on how to write literature reviews

E

Can you recommend any books that teach you how to write literature reviews ?

Thanks in advance !

S

======= Date Modified 22 Sep 2008 20:27:39 =======
Off the top of my head I can't think of any, but I do remember finding something good on the web awhile ago, if I can find it I'll post the link. As I'm sure you are aware there's more to it than Fred says this and Ginger says that. You've got to explore the limitations of the literature and relate it to the aims and objectives of your project. That's my tuppence-worth. I'm sure the others will have ideas.

I found 'Doing a Literature Review" by Chris Hart quite helpful when I was writing mine. Not too bad...

H

I wish someone could just invent a machine where you stuck in all your references and it wrote you an amazing literature review :-(

S

Yes, that would be great. I have to say that I found the LR the most slow-going, long-winded part of the PhD. Not only do you have to read widely, but when you write the review you have to get your paraphrasing spot on. Grhhh.

B

I can't remember if someone actually already recommended this one on the forum -

http://blogs.library.auckland.ac.nz/arts/archive/2008/07/11/The-Literature-Review-A-Step-by-Step-Guide-for-Students.aspx

I haven't bought it yet, but planning to.

E

I have ordered Chris Hart's book, but I can't find the one recommended by Bulbs.