budget allocation for your research??

M

Hi,
I am a fully funded science PhD student and was just wondering how budgeting for research works in other universities. I don't seem to have a formally set budget for buying equipment/chemicals etc.. and was wondering if this was normal. Surely there should be an allocation for this? Getting any money for buying these things always seems to be struggle and can be quite frustrating. Would be interested to hear your views on this
thanks!

A

I suppose I'm lucky, I just ask and get. I don't even need permission to buy things unless it's over £1000 and because I order it myself I don't even need to wait for anyone else to do it for me. What sort of project are you doing?

H

I think most people will have a specific budget to buy all their chemicals and equipment. Sounds like you should have a chat with your supervisor and set an amount you can use.

M

blimey Adem - you sound like you have a nice set up!
the area is enzymology so obviously very much lab based, which equals expensive! I just get the feeling sometimes that the university wants me to produce quality research but without having to put any money into it. I think my supervisor is just as frustrated with the situation. sorry for the grumble, just one of those weeks (of which there seem to be more and more!)

B

My budget handling is pretty much like Adem's. Moomin if your supervisor is Scrooging it, maybe you can try collaborating (ie promising their names in your paper) with other groups that have better equipped labs?

L

I think budgets etc depend on the nature of the research and how it's funded, ie if your supervisor has an active grant etc. I think there is a set amount of money given to the university by the funding body for your research, but I've no idea how much, and I guess that it varies from department to department and uni to uni how it's allocated or monitored.

M

I am funded directly by the university which is probably why the budget is not formally allocated?anyone in the same position?
I am hoping to collaborate with other research groups and have already made some contacts but am not really at the point where I am ready to pursue that route. I just to get some decent results together first!
Its really interesting (although am tad envious!) to hear about how other people get their bits and bobs paid for.

maybe i can start a charity fund for equipment or people can post me the dregs of their chemicals??

C

Im technically EPSRC funded but because its a DTA I get exactly the same allowance as the uni funded ones here.

We get £1800 a year for consumables and expenses, though my supervisor is a bit of a tight a**e and makes me explain why I need everything - if its a big item I go to my other supervisors.

I recently managed to get a new stirrer hotplate and adaptors (£750) off the uni equipment budget as it hadnt been used much this year!

F

Money? I am funded but as far as I can make out there is no other budget, which in psychology means if I want to try and entice non-student participants in I have to finance it myself. Or stick to just testing students which gives you less than inspiring data.

I got a bookcase once - have to practically chain it to the wall.