Building up some sort of momentum - MRes

R

Evening all:

Hope that everyone's keeping well. Just as wee thread prior to logging off for the evening. Still struggling to build up any momentum (I've posted similar threads along this line in the past). I'm in the first year of my PhD programme (doing an MRes this year followed by a three year PhD next year). The downside to this year is that thus far I've had 5 modules in my uni - all fairly tough as new concepts. This has meant that I've not been able to focus as much on my research as I'd have wanted to have done...

I've done a fair bit of reading and my supervisor wants to see a literature review, almost done by the weekend's out. I've got 5,500 words done thus far and another 4,500 at least to do - maybe padding it out at a later date... Is it possible to write 4,500 words in a few days if I've got an idea of my direction??? Procastination takes place a lot, and I also suffer from depression which has hampered my progress over the past few months.

The final total from the MRes is 25,000 words... Doable in 5 and a half months? I'd hope so but advice appreciated - please remember it's an MRes as oppose to a PhD at this stage (though I need to demonstrate I can carry out research well).

The good thing to an MRes (as part of the structured four year programme) is that firstly I do most of my modules this year - I've only got two more PhD modules to do next year... Both prior to Christmas. So in effect I have a 'clear road' (if there ever is one with research!) at the start of 2011 to focus on ploughing efforts into research. Furthermore, any research done for the MRes will naturally 'feed into' my PhD - thus cutting down literarture review time and providing first stage of the analysis/results... Oh and (without wanting to give myself away if my supervisors read this board - if I haven't already) access to my sample is not a problem at all. I have heard horror stories about it taking between 6 months to a year to even be granted access - that'll be no problem at all.

So I guess my question is... Should I start worrying, considering my progress thus far? I feel at times I should look at myself as a Masters student (as opposed to a PhD student)... Any advice appreciated as feeling desperate!

Cheers to all!

S x

B

Quote From rebel:

Is it possible to write 4,500 words in a few days if I've got an idea of my direction???

Oh yes. I once sat up all night and typed up about that many words for a new chapter I was working on. Yes there were gaps, but I could fill those over the next few days. So it's doable.

The final total from the MRes is 25,000 words... Doable in 5 and a half months?

Yes. I wrote my 15,000 word Masters dissertation over a 3 month period, so I think your longer work over a suitably longer period is doable. The hard bit was doing the research beforehand. Writing up was much easier. Oh and remember that total would normally include the literature survey you will already have written quite soon.

Good luck!