Burn baby burn (what to keep)

M

I completed my PhD (of 7 1/2 years) just over 12 months ago and I had images in my head of gathering all of the associated paperwork and burning them as soon as I'd graduated.

This hasn't happened - I've tried several times to throw things away and although I've got rid of the odd folder I'm struggling to reduce the amount of paperwork. It sounds like I'm answering my own question but I haven't looked at ANY of this for years but having lived, breathed and battled PhD, I'm finding it really difficult.

In terms of what sort of paperwork this is, it's mainly 'keepsakes' as opposed to being data, lots of conference packs and information sheets. My study was ethnographic so I have stacks of notebooks with handwritten field notes.

(This isn't about data protection as all relevant data is being stored for the necessary period required by university ethics.)

If I'm really honest about it - I have this nagging fear that something further will be asked of me in the future - like someone could challenge my PhD data and I'd have to go back to my notes.

This isn't to mention the 100's of GB's of backed up data over several hard drives.

So my question was how ruthless have people been?

I've also kept lots of undergrad paperwork.... maybe I've got hoarding issues?!

I've been working as a Research Associate for the past few years and have relocated 4 times and carrying all of this stuff is exhausting!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

T

I've got hoarding issues. I've kept everything from school, A levels, undergrad, MSc and PhD... I like to keep it. In reality, I think you only need to keep data.

C

I'm the same, I've still got A level, undergrad, masters assignments and reports. Don't know why I keep it all but I can't bring myself to throw it out.

Maybe it's a weird academic trait.