Caffeine Vultures

I

======= Date Modified 07 Mar 2011 11:18:56 =======
I am a little bored just now waiting for my simulation to run, so I thought I'd post this to see what caffeine related stories people have witnessed over their PhD.

Let me paint the scene: The lunchtime canteen opens around twelve. I say around twelve because I know the chef in charge of making the baguettes and he has told me in much detail down the pub that he takes great joy in stopping what I'm about to talk about.

Around five minutes to twelve, somebody in the office will inform the room that it is time for lunch. Essentially, their stomach takes on the role of speaking for the room. This time however, when I say around twelve, I actually mean exactly 11:55 army time.

So, we march down to the canteen to eat our packed lunches. Then, what is witnessed is what can only be described as a mass massacre of baguettes, pastries and all things sandwich meat. Lunches are scoffed down before the meals have even had a chance to meet their eater.

Let me tell you, this isn't due to any form of eagerness to get back to the office. No, this is to get somewhere far more important than that. This is to get first in the queue for Coffee!!

You can read more about my caffeine woes if you want at http://www.indoctorate.co.uk/2011/03/caffeine-vultures.html

So, am I the only one who is watching caffeine slowly taking over the world??

Probably. Ohwell, my code has run.

Epic fail. :-(

I have a dolce gusto thingy on my desk at home, so I often end up in a jittering mess by 10am after 3 or 4 lattes :p

I

======= Date Modified 07 Mar 2011 13:12:38 =======
Haha I can only imagine, that is pretty hardcore :p

My office is like the walking dead before that first vital coffee break.

I prefer my 45p tomato soups. Mmm

E

The person who sits next to me at work hasn't washed his coffee mug in over a year.

He says it adds to flavour.

But, it has flakes of dry coffee hanging from it and he always leaves it so I can see it. Mean person :-(

A

I know what you mean Emma, the workplace coffee mug- yuck :-s

Probably the more you try to block it from your line of vision, the larger and more grotesque it gets??? Could you not wait 'til the owner is not about and find that it spontaneously gets lost?!?!?!?

I don't go into college that much anymore as I work from home but when I do I have my own mug stashed away in my drawer, just in case somebody might be tempted to borrow it 'coz it's so clean ;-)

E

Yes! I'm so happy somebody has encountered the workplace coffee mug.

Not just does it invade my vision, but it smells too.

I have been trying for weeks to find the right time to bin it. But, he always seems to be one step ahead. He had gone out of the office and left it, so I seized the opportunity. But as I picked it up, somebody else said, oh could you fill up my mug as well? So instead of getting rid of that ugly mug, I ended up with two :-( :-(

I

Oddly enough, I can't sympathise with that. Atleast, with a mug, it is not see-through. One of the post-docs who sits at the other end of my office actually uses a pint glass for his coffee! :-s

And, the stains are equally as bad. To be fair, it is that stained that it's almost not see through any more ...