Call for a new survey/poll

O

How many of you have published in a peer-reviewed journal as a first author during your PhD or less than a year after graduation?

I haven't btw.

R

One publication

S

A guy in our research group published 60 journal papers during the Ph.d, most are published in Physical review, JMMM, APL. In less than one year after he graduated, he published a review article in progress in materials science whose impact factor is more than 10. He is now only 30 years old. but he cannot get the funding in UK because he is from overseas. He will go to America to work in the university there.

O

that guy will be offered a Professorial Post straight away, I could imagine.

S

i haven't published yet. my partner however published one short article (a "comment") as first author in a high impact journal. he is currently finishing his PhD which will probably be awarded in march or so. he has 3 more publications in the "pipeline" 2 of which will probably appear within a year.
it was likely the high impact journal publication which got him the lecturer job he has now.

B

Four first authored, two second authored and about six where I am a co-author.

And I am still working for Office bloody angels...

V

One serious publication+ one extended book review.

But I think it very much varies between subjects. For example, in history it is normal not to publish anything during a PhD and then a book some years later while in natural sciences a paper per year is average.

C

God, I'm inadequate.

S

1 journal publication and 1 conference paper

P

I did... But that's because my Supervisor was very laid back with me and didn't push me to publish anything in my 3 years.. so I had to do all the hard work. In my mind.. if I write the thing, I am first author.. kinda simple really - and thankfully my supervisor agreed. I think I published in an IEEE journal after 11 months of starting my PhD but I do know that if it hadn't been for my supervisor editing / rewording things, it would have been rejected as apparantly 'I talk like a chav' :-S

My friend had a supervisor who would demand to be first author.. even if she had done all the work, she would be first and my friend second.. and then the supervisors friend came to work at the Uni... and my friend got pushed down to 3rd author after the supervisors 'friend' gave 5 minutes of input to her paper...

C

And I am still working for Office bloody angels...

I have an interview there this week

B

You may find it helpful if you downplay your doctorate and talk more about your admin skills/ typing speed/ organisational skills.

Whatever you do, don't refer to yourself as "doctor".

O

That's a good advice by Badhaircut.

But at the same time I think it's ridiculous how they (some employers in industry, secretaries, Human Resources) treat us ex-PhD students. Like we've been naughty doing a PhD, if you know what I mean.